Seymour Duncan MM replacement pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bob Gollihur, Aug 2, 2001.

1. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Does anyone have any experience with these?
  2. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I had one that was stock on a (now sold) Washburn XB900. Very bright, very hot, not very forgiving in the way of covering up finger noise, fret noise or mistakes. Less than perfect technique *will* be exposed. It was paired with the Duncan MM EQ, which I also didn't really like. The lows were too low; boosting them kept the tone very clean and hi-fi, but didn't add any low-mid oomph. The midrange control was really harsh-sounding, more grit than growl. (Duncan probably meant it to be "secret weapon" against too loud guitarists.)

There isn't a P or a J sound to be found in this setup, so if it's versatility or smoove grooves you want, I'd suggest something else. If what you want is a bad-ass super-bright slap machine or a rough-around-the-edges plectrum-ready guitar-killing punk bass, though, I'd say buy!
  3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Hey, Bob.

I have no comment on the pickup, but I have to say I know of a punk band looking for a bassist. Would you be interested?:D
  4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey bob

i have one on my 8 string fretless, and it does sound a bit untamed - very raw, loud and grinding. personally, i really like it, but you know me, i'm weird :D.
  5. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Well, my father would call me a punk sometimes when I recally pissed him off, but that was almost 40 yrs ago so I probably no longer qualify.

Thanks all for the input - doesn't sound like it's what I'd want for my five string project bass, which will probably end up with a Bart soapbar. Would like to get hold of a G&L L2500 pickup, but I understand G&L doesn't sell them separately.

Talk about punk and/or weird, you'll probably break my stones when I tell you what it's for--- I picked up a beautiful Epiphone Ripper sunburst body on eBay and luthier Karl Hoyt has made me a maple/maple five string neck for it, complete with Gibson-style paddle headstock. A five string Rippah!!
  6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Bob - The "raw", "gritty", and "untamed" adjectives Christopher and John use may be referring to their ceramic model. (Christopher - are you actually Matt Pulcinella? ;) )

I just bought an alnico Basslines MM with the 3-Band EQ Tone Circuit and slap contour switch, a.k.a., "The Music Man Replacement System" from Bass Central. I can't personally tell you about it because a custom bass will be attached to it, so I won't be able to play it for a while.

However, I asked around because I could find next to nothing about either the ceramic or the new alnico and was swayed to the alnico Basslines MM by some input I received. I was debating between that an the Bart MM.

Guitar Villa contrasted the Bart MM against the Basslines MM and differentiated the Bart by saying the Bart MM is "not a high gain, distortion-cruncher...They are designed to be very smooth and natural sounding with transparent woody tone.....behaved."

Alex Semple at Basslines said abut the Basslines MM ALNICO, "From the feedback I've gotten the alnico MM sounds the best....smoother, warmer, rounder...the ceramic is harder, grittier...I'm sure even Flea would be satisfied with the effect...."

Admittedly, Alex isn't exactly an impartial judge but the feedback he gave was based on customer comments. Plus, Basslines gives you 21 days to try it out and return it for a full refund if it isn't your tone.

When I ordered about a week and a half ago, Alex said Duncan only had three of the 5-string alnicos left. So, make that two after my order. It comes from their Custom Shop so I guess they make a few at a time, depending on orders.

If you're wondering what the slap contour switch does, he said it activates a separate EQ which cuts the mids and boosts treble and bottom end.

As you might expect, the one they described as "better sounding," the alnico, is almost twice the cost of the ceramic.
  7. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    No, I'm not Mr. Pulcinella (though I do appreciate like his aesthetic sensibilities). I'm guessing the Basslines in the Washburn was the ceramic model, though the body woods--swamp ash and pau ferro--may also have had something to do with the overly-bright tone.

You wouldn't happen to be Rick Turner, would you? :)