Seymour Duncan Music Man Replacemnt System

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by oli_g313, May 27, 2004.

1. oli_g313

May 22, 2004
    Hi, i have finally decided to buy a Seymour Duncan Music Man Replacemnt System, with the Alnico pickup and preamp. But i dont know what the difference is between the SMB-4A and the SMB-4D. As im gonning to be buying one of these i want to know what is different about them and which is suitable for my OLP. Any opinion or comment would be appreciated, thanks.

P.S. How does changing the pickguard of your Bass, make the sound and tone any different?
  2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Wrong forum.

If you delete this post and re-post it in the pickups forum Im sure you'll get a lot more replys.

I dont know enough about these systems to tell you anything but I know that the pickgaurd wont make a difference.

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    If you go to the seymour duncan website, you'll see that the difference is that the 4d is a ceramic magnet and 4a is alnico magnet. The alnico is supposed to be a warmer sound than the ceramic. I had one in my stingray and it did make the sound noticably warmer on the low end while keeping the classic mids/highs of the ray sound.

and yes, this will probably get more responses in Pickups
  4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i'm not too informed on the particulars, but i can say that i have alnico duncan mm pickups on my 2 8 string basses, and they sound fabulous, all the way down to a low f#.
  5. oli_g313

May 22, 2004
    Thanks for the feedback ;). I thought i did post the topic in the pickups section and i find the thread in the pickup section :eyebrow:. Dont know where you guys are finding it.

P.s. How thick are the necks on your 8 string basses John :eek:
  6. ms747

Aug 10, 2001
    i have done exactly the same on my olp bass 5 string model smb-5a and the premap sounds fantastic really brings out that stingray growl the slap countour switch rocks aswell
    if u need any more info or anything feel free to PM me
  7. snailplow

snailplow Leon Phelps Wanna Be

I found this thread via a search,hence the older post dates,but instead of starting a new thread I'll revive this one.
    My question is for MM Sting Ray 5 owners,who replaced their stock pre-amps with the Duncan one.Does the Duncan do alot to help the B string in terms of output?The stock EB MM pre is really weak in that area.
  8. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I have a very strong 'B' string on my SR5 and this is one of their generally recognized strengths.

Not sure why you would be experiencing this.
    Could it be other factors (like your cabs, strings, relative PUP height -- bass to treble side, or something else)?
  9. snailplow

Sorry,I should have elaborated more.The output of the B isn't really low.It's quite "usable",but it doesn't match the output of the other four strings.I've noticed this on every SR5 I've ever played.
    Maybe it's because they're 34" scaled basses,because Laklands don't seem to have this problem.All the factors you listed above are fine as far as my bass and rig are concerned,but I do really appreciate your input.I can see how any of them could affect overall output.
    I'm assuming that your SR5 is stock?

The reason I'm interested in a possible upgrade to Duncan aftermarket components is,when I saw Black Sabbath last year at Ozzfest,all of Geezer's Laklands were Bartolini equipped except one.He had a silver one w/ Duncan components in it,and it sounded more agressive,louder,more refined,and sat in the mix better.It made the band as a whole sound better.
  10. Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    Ole Geezer could have SD, or anyone else for that matter, custom wind his pickup for him? Just because you saw a famous performer rocking a particular brand doesn't mean you will get the same thing off the shelf. My experience with the SD in a Sterling 4 made it an Ernie Ball-less...I quickly changed it back to stock. I suggest you play with the pickup height (as mentioned above) and also with some different brands of strings first before you start replacing stuff. Also, if you do decide to replace stuff, do one thing at a time...replace the pickup first, but leave the stock preamp in. If you change everything at once and it sounds like poop, you don't know which component is poopy. A tighter B string may be all you need to get this thing to sound more balanced.
  11. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I've tried both the Duncan and the Bartolini in one of my SR5's. I agree, it makes it "Ernie Ball-less". Sounds like a different bass, not a Stingray. I quickly went back to stock. Never assume that something "different", "more expensive" or "more name brand" is necessarily going to be an improvement.
  12. snailplow

Did you replace just the pickup,or did you install their preamp as well?Also,was the pick-up you bought the alnico,or ceramic version?Thanks for your help.
  13. snailplow

Your point about the possibility of Geezer having his pick-ups custom wound is a good one,so I'll keep that in mind.
    I experimented with the pick-up and string heighth before I posted my intial post in this thread.It made very little improvement in the overall output.My strings are a Dean Markley Nickel-Steel 5 string set.
    I'm using an Eden Navigator/power amp as you are,so I'm further interested in any other ideas you might come up with.Was the pick-up that you bought the alnico,or ceramic version?Thanks for your input.
  14. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Maybe I have an unusual winding on my stock PUP (my B and G strings seem to have slightly more output than the E, A, & D strings -- I've seen several posts by SR5 owners that their G string has less output than the other strings), but you're the first person I seen saying their B string has less output.
    I tend to use a lighter touch on those two strings to compensate.

I've used a Nemesis NC-210P combo amp with this bass as well as my current rig (Dem 201S & PLX1602) together with a Bergantino HT322 (which I traded away) and my current cab, a Schroeder 410.
    The slight imbalance was the same with all setups.

I would be tempted to attribute this to you using an Avatar 410 (at least that's what your profile currently shows) which has a bit less output below 40Hz, but apparently you own other 5 string basses and I am assuming (if they are BEADG 5 stringers) that you don't have a problem with the B string on any of those basses.

Maybe you and I both have unusually wound stock PUPs, but with opposite effects.

If I had a second SR5 to jack around with I would be interested in trying one of Bart's 72MV5CX and MV5CBC (not both at the same time) PUPs on it or if I could find a Lane Poor MM5 pickup (Mmmmm, yummy!) with the stock SR5 pre and also with an Ag OBP-1 and OBP-3.
  15. snailplow

Yea,I thought it might be the Avatar,so I took the bass
    to a friend's rehearsal,and played through his monster boogie/ampeg rig(400+ head and 8x10 cab).
    The B was stronger and louder because of more cone surface projection,but so were the other strings,so I really didn't gain anything.
    Hearing the bass through that rig,made me reminisce back to when I use to lug a refrigerator around to gigs as well. :D
  16. Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    A friend (r379) replaced his jazz pickups with some Nordtrands and raves about them. Nordstand has a MM replacement pickup that is modeled after the original Stingray pup. I've talked with Carey Nordstrand and he seems straight up and very willing to find the right pickup equation for a customer. My Sterlings had weak D and G strings, so this is not an isolated complaint IMO...good to know you are not crazy ay?

You might consider sending your bass to Carey Nordstrand and having him access the situation and see if he can find a remedy...this was his suggestion with my contemplation for upgrading my P Deluxe with the P/JJ config...first time someone suggested I send them the entire bass to them so that they could get it right by taking the entire bass into the equation.

What body wood is your MM made from? This can be a big factor sometimes.
  17. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Nordstrand MM5 PUPs?

Uh-oh!!! :help: