Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Seymour duncan musicman system installed..

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Jeffrey A-Bomb, Mar 27, 2003.

1. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    Hey, I figured I'd give the seymour duncan musicman system (pickup & preamp) a shot in my stingray ('92 model) w/ maple fingerboard and am in awe.. :D It's an INCREDIBLE system and yields some of the nicest tones I've ever heard come from this bass ;) Experience in the past with bartolini musicman pickups yielded mixed results and totally changed the sound of the bass.. But, the seymour duncan system still has the 'ray character but is SO much better than the stock system in my opinion.. The slap switch is probably the coolest part and and the frequency centers are right on point.. Smoother, but still biting, highs and punchy lows and mids.. The range of tones is great, I highly recommend it ;) Anyone else using a 'ray w/ the seymour duncan system in it? :bassist: :bassist:

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Yup, I got the stock setup in my '90 Ray 4 replaced with all SD last October.

I went with the Alnico pup and SD preamp. I love the result, much warmer and smoother on the bottom end but still retaining the stingray sound we know and love.

The slap contour is very cool indeed.

3. turkish

turkish Guest

Jul 14, 2002
    FCCAUSA, or here
  4. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    I've got the same setup in my SR5 and love it..How did you ground your setup? Mine has a slight buzz that I can't seem to get rid of no matter how I ground it...Even spent 50 bucks and the luthier didnt fix it...

I may switch it to my SR4 as well..

Tommy

5. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    Wow..Just got off the phone with SD tech support...Not only are they super cool, but they are going to send me a new pickup because they think the Alnico magnet is causing the buzz...

Huge thumbs up for those guys!

6. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    Wow, that's some good custom service right there :) I had a hunch it'd probably be something like that because my setup is super quiet. Much quieter than the stock musicman setup..

7. I'm using one...not in a 'ray though :D

[​IMG]

Warmoth Jazzray. Cool setup, great system IHMO. Liked it enough to put a STC-3p preamp in my Yobias.

8. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    That's interesting. I have a buzz that goes away when I touch the strings, so I'm obviously grounding it with my body. I keep meaning to take it apart and make sure everything is grounded, then keep forgetting to. Did SD say it was a known problem with the Alnico pickup?

9. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    Hi davidmwilson,
    He actually said that it wasn't uncommon on the Alnico pickups..your problems sounds exactly like mine..a slight buzz until i touch anything metal on the bass..I'm going to take it apart this weekend and snap a shot of my grounds off and post it here..maybe we can get some good comparisons..

Thanks
    Tommy

10. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    man that is one sexy bass!!

Alex

11. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    Yeah, that bass is beautiful.. Is the pickup in the 'ray sweetspot? As far as buzzing, I did notice a slight buzz (similiar to what you mentioned) when the volume was cranked and I wasn't touching the bridge or strings.. Only really seemed to be heard with treble boost on.. I've grounded the bridge and pickup, so I'm not sure what it is.. I think my pickup is the ceramic one to, the one that comes default w/ the tone circuit.. Let me know if you find out any information :)

12. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    Well, I sent out my pickup today so I should hopefully have a new one here shortly..Im going to re-solder all my connections and ground the bridge and battery sleeve to the pot and see what happens...I would have thought the Pre would be the reason for the buzz, but Scott at SD said most likely it wasnt since it didnt buzz like that with my stock pickup...

Now I'm out a bass for a week :( :(

13. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
  14. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    Just an update for you guys..I called SD and they received my stock pickup and it did in fact test defective...The guy said something about the wax/epoxy may have seperated the grounds...Sounds like this may have been the buzzing issue..Now I just need to get the new one in!!

How did you guys ground your systems? I notice I have a ground on the 1. Bridge 2. Pickup 3. Pre 4. Battery Sleeve 5. Shielding paint with a connector and ground wire coming off of it...Should I ground them all to a pot?

Thanks
    Tommy

15. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Hey Tommy,
    just saw this. I'll take a look inside my StingRay tonight and report back.

I didn't do the work, so I don't know how it was grounded.

16. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I installed a Bassline MM and Jazz (with the active pre) in my last Warmoth project. Great sound! The MM P/U soloed has an awesome slap tone!

17. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    Wow!:eek: :eek:

Thats one nice bass!

18. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    OK, I finally got inside my Ray this weekend. Everything seems grounded as I would expect.

But I'm still getting the buzz until I touch some metal. I don't want to send back the pup and wait for a new one to come in and then have to connect it all again.

Tommy, did you look at the pup itself? I might pop that out and see if anything is obviously wrong there.

I do want to get this resolved though. I'm thinking of selling the Ray as I love it but haven't really used it that much recently despite the upgrade. Just not much call for the Ray sound in the stuff I'm going - I'm looking into a Lakland 55-02 so I could hopefully get a ray-like sound if I wanted, but also other tones.

19. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    Hey David,
    I still havent gotten my pickup back...It was supposed to send on the 24th so we'll see what the mailman brings...I looked at the pickup and couldnt see anything unusual..I wouldnt really know what I would look for though! If the new one comes in and there is no buzz, i'll be sure to let you know first.

Thanks
    Tommy

20. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    If you don't mind my asking (don't know if this is bad ettiquette), is that quilt real or one of those photo-finishes?