Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Seymour Duncan Phase II passive soapbars

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BassJunkie730, Aug 5, 2005.

1. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    Good Morning Fellow TBers (or to those on EST),

I am very interested in Seymour Duncan's new Phase 2 Passive pickups. Maybe is a case of pickup G.A.S. but call it what you will, I'd like to know more. I also think anyone who has a pair of Sadowsky Soapbars in their bass can comment too, since the two pickups are touted as being very similar.

1. What is the overall tonality (in a nutshell)? When run completely passive do they have a natural mid hump (like most humbuckers with side by side coil construction)?

2. I see that they are currently available but not much has been said here abou them. Is this an indicator of a less than amazing product?

3. For you sadowsky owners, what are the sonic differences between a soapbar equipped Sad and a J equipped Sad (I think the pickup placement is different, but can you humor me anyway :D

I'm looking to wired these Pups strictly passive and split the signal between an outboard pre (like an aggie or Sad) and a couple of distortion boxes. I do like a natural low mid hump (I've got the Schroeder to prove it :smug: )

Basically I'm looking to construct a bass with eithere these or some J type. Now my gut says go with the J type because I'll have more options in the long run if I replace, but I'd still like to know more about the Phase 2 passives.

Thanks,

Michael

2. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    My experience is as a Sadowsky Tokyo ower, and I've played a soapbar-equipped Sad in a local store for a whopping 10 minutes, so take this with a grain of salt :rolleyes:.... anyways, the two definitely have a different timbre, i.e. a different fundamental sound. The soapbars, to my ears anyway, definitely sound...well.. like soapbars! :D I don't know that I characterize this myself as having more 'muted' highs as I've heard others mention, but to my ears, anyway, they have a distinctively different sound... a sound which you hear in older Tobias, and even Kubicki basses, even G&L... basses having pickups with side-by-side coils.

Note: I don't mean to imply that any of these basses really "sound like the others" ... it's more like there is at least a passing similarity in the sounds... and that this sound is different from the sound I hear from most Jazz-pickup equipped instruments. You may prefer either one, but -- to my ears anyway -- there is a definite difference.

FWIW, I prefer the two Jazz pup, or PJ, approach. YMMV...

3. I'd like to hear comments about basslines passive phase II pickups if anyone tried one.. As a soapbar pickup it's a big unknown for me and don't know what to wait from them. I've got active phase II (ASB2) on my six string and I like them very much, if they are like the actives wow...