Seymour Duncan Phase II passive soapbars

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BassJunkie730, Aug 5, 2005.

1. BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Good Morning Fellow TBers (or to those on EST),

I am very interested in Seymour Duncan's new Phase 2 Passive pickups. Maybe is a case of pickup G.A.S. but call it what you will, I'd like to know more. I also think anyone who has a pair of Sadowsky Soapbars in their bass can comment too, since the two pickups are touted as being very similar.

1. What is the overall tonality (in a nutshell)? When run completely passive do they have a natural mid hump (like most humbuckers with side by side coil construction)?

2. I see that they are currently available but not much has been said here abou them. Is this an indicator of a less than amazing product?

3. For you sadowsky owners, what are the sonic differences between a soapbar equipped Sad and a J equipped Sad (I think the pickup placement is different, but can you humor me anyway :D

I'm looking to wired these Pups strictly passive and split the signal between an outboard pre (like an aggie or Sad) and a couple of distortion boxes. I do like a natural low mid hump (I've got the Schroeder to prove it :smug: )

Basically I'm looking to construct a bass with eithere these or some J type. Now my gut says go with the J type because I'll have more options in the long run if I replace, but I'd still like to know more about the Phase 2 passives.

2. mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    My experience is as a Sadowsky Tokyo ower, and I've played a soapbar-equipped Sad in a local store for a whopping 10 minutes, so take this with a grain of salt :rolleyes:.... anyways, the two definitely have a different timbre, i.e. a different fundamental sound. The soapbars, to my ears anyway, definitely sound...well.. like soapbars! :D I don't know that I characterize this myself as having more 'muted' highs as I've heard others mention, but to my ears, anyway, they have a distinctively different sound... a sound which you hear in older Tobias, and even Kubicki basses, even G&L... basses having pickups with side-by-side coils.

Note: I don't mean to imply that any of these basses really "sound like the others" ... it's more like there is at least a passing similarity in the sounds... and that this sound is different from the sound I hear from most Jazz-pickup equipped instruments. You may prefer either one, but -- to my ears anyway -- there is a definite difference.

FWIW, I prefer the two Jazz pup, or PJ, approach. YMMV...
  3. I'd like to hear comments about basslines passive phase II pickups if anyone tried one.. As a soapbar pickup it's a big unknown for me and don't know what to wait from them. I've got active phase II (ASB2) on my six string and I like them very much, if they are like the actives wow...