Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by WildBill, Jan 2, 2003.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Just saw the pedal online for the first time this morning.

To me, it just seems like it may be just a "poor man's Sansamp Bass Driver" or a simple gain boost/cut unit. I don't see where it really interacts with the pickups.
  2. bassackwards

bassackwards Member

Dec 16, 2002
    This was taken from a guitar effects forum:
    "By way of introduction, I’m Evan Skopp, Vice President of Marketing and Product Development at Seymour Duncan. I helped develop the SFX-01 Pickup Booster Pedal, together with a lot of input from artists, guitar builders, and members of the Seymour Duncan User Group Forum.

I am writing here not as a sales pitch, but to answer the questions posed in this thread. Thank you in advance for your time reading this.

(From the instruction manual)
    “The Pickup Booster can be used in a variety of applications where extra gain is required. These include use by acoustic guitarists, bassists, electric guitarists, and recording applications. The Pickup Booster’s main feature is the Gain Control knob. By rotating it clockwise, the user can add pure, flat-EQ gain, ranging from 6dB, all the way to 25dB. Home studio enthusiasts will take advantage of the Pickup Booster’s clean gain boost abilities to augment the recording levels of instruments and microphones. Acoustic guitarists and bassists will enjoy their ability to add a subtle volume boost (9 – 12dB) for solos. Electric guitarists will take the fullest advantage of the Pickup Booster’s capabilities as they add everything from “punch” to a solo to over-the-top gain to a tube amplifier’s front end – all with the simple twist of a knob!

The Resonance Switch was designed specifically for electric guitarists who use single coil pickups of the type typically found on Strat® or Tele® guitars. By engaging the Resonance Switch, the resonant peak of a pickup can be lowered, making a single coil sound similar to a vintage humbucker or to a high-output humbucker. Notice that there are three settings marked “1,” “ 0,” and “2.” The effect of these settings is as follows:

“1” - Resonance shift down 2-3kHz
    “0” - Resonance is not affected
    “2” - Resonance shifts down 3-5kHz”

Here are the rest of the specs:

Gain range: 6 to 25 dB

Bypass: True bypass

Noise: -120 dBV (referred to input with gain set at 25dB)

Type of circuitry: Fully discrete, class A

Distortion: < 0.1%

Power: DC 9-12 V battery, or regulated DC adapter

Current consumption: 3.5mA @ 9V (when LED is “on”), 1.5mA @ 9V (when LED is “off”)

Input impedance: 500K (when effect is “on”), Open (when effect is “off”)

Output impedance: 5K ohms

Dimensions: 2.5" x 5" x 2" (W x L x H) (6.35cm x 12.7cm x 5.08 cm)

Weight: 0.8 lb. Without battery, 0.9 lb. With battery

Chassis material: Heavy duty 1.6 mm steel

I hope that provides the information you’re looking for. Thanks again for your time reading this.

Yours in tone,

Evan Skopp"