Seymour Duncan pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bleachstained, Apr 22, 2001.

  1. bleachstained


    Apr 22, 2001
    I just have a question for everyone out there. I am interested in getting a Seymour Duncan pickup like the type used in Ernie Ball stingrays. The only problem is, I would be putting it in my old Squier P-bass. How would I hook up a pickup like that when it needs more than one tone knob and my p only has one tone knob?
  2. notduane


    Nov 24, 2000
    Hey Bleach~ .  Welcome to TB :) .

    Are you replacing the P-type in your Squier, or adding-
    on the MM-type?

    If you're replacing the P, you don't necessarily need
    a bunch o' tone controls, i.e., you can run a Seymour
    Duncan SMB4d in PASSIVE mode like the Ampeg AMB1.
    It employs an S/D MM type with one volume, one tone,
    and a series/parallel switch. I ain't sure about the clearance
    in the control cavity of your Squier, but you might even
    get a pot for the tone control with an attached DPDT
    switch. That way, if you wanna do the series/parallel
    thing, you wouldn't have to drill another hole for the switch...


    If you're adding-on, there are ways to avoid drilling extra
    holes in this situation too ~ get the aforementioned pot
    with attached switch for a "master" tone control and MM
    series/parallel switch. For the volume controls, you could
    get a "concentric" (dual control) pot and then wire up the
    whole thing sorta' like a Jazz Bass, i.e., Volume-Volume-
    Master Tone...