Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Seymour Duncan PJ System

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by PhatBasstard, Apr 1, 2003.

1. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I just got a SD PJ system off of eBay that is suposed to be completely active. Although there is no doubt that the pre-amp is indeed active and made be SD, I'm no sure of the pickups.

Heres the email I just sent to SD's tech dept.:

Hi,
    I have aquired a "New/Old Stock" active Seymour Duncan (suposedly) PJ system with Volume // Blend // Bass // Treble controls. Both the P and J pickups only have two leads ( Black & Red on the J, Black & White on the P ). The electronics have a Black box attached with a sticker on the back with:

Duncan Designed
    2Band EQ
    Bass Treble

The Black box has numorous leads going to a white Din plug/coupler with a small sticker with a hand written J on it. The leads then go from the coupler to the Pots & Battery clip. The only bare wires coming from the circuit are a twin lead White and a single lead Black.

My first question is: Should these pickups, if they are truly active, have 3 leads (like the ones in your current wiring diagrams)? The pickup covers are blank so I'm assuming they're not BassLines.

My second question is: If this sounds like one of your systems, is there a wiring diagram I can get for it?

Thanks

Any thoughts or info anybody?

2. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Hey, I just saw that auction you won on those today while browsing P/J setups, looks like you got a killer deal!

3. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    How could you see that auction today (unless it was still on your eBay watch list) since it was over a week ago? :confused:

You may have seen the passive Duncan PJ system that I just sold that this "active" system is suposed to replace.

4. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I'm good....lets just leave it at that!!!! :D

Seriously, I often go through checking out past/closed auctions, for many reasons. Number one, it gives you a good idea what stuff is going for, and number two, it's a good way to find some killer deals. IE: If you find something that went for a great price that you want, and the buyer has zero or negative feedback, there's a good chance the buyer never paid for the goods. Send the seller an email, and ask if high bidder went through with the deal, and if not....offer to match his bid price to buy from him before he relists it. Also good to check out things that has the reserve not yet met, contact the seller, and see what they will part with it for. A lot of times, they don't want to go through the hassles of relisting, waiting 3-7 days, just to keep it at the end.....AGAIN. They usually cut a good deal, just to move it down the road quickly!Seems like I get approx. 50% of the items I inquire about this way, and have gotten some killer deals!

My last purchase this way: 1995 Chevrolet Blazer 4x4, 4 door....loaded. Near mint, runs like a new one, and a super gear hauler. I had to make quite a lengthy trip to get it, but got it all done and home in less than 24 hours, and got it for about 50% under blue book value....well worth the trouble. Now you know my internet trading secret!

PS., Don't tell Brad Johnson about this, or else I will never get any more deals like this :D

5. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Ah yes, a while back I also picked up a USA Spector NS-2, quilted maple, oil finish MINT for $900 shipped this way. :D

6. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.

I do the same thing, but are you just reviewing things on your watched list? I have never seen closed auctions come up in any kind of search otherwise.

7. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
  8. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    It used to be under the "advanced search" tab, but from what I have seen, it is no longer there. Maybe it isn't advertised due to people buying things the way I have explained? I dunno.....just bookmark that link, and you should be good to go.