1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound J Pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Kappa, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Kappa

Kappa

Jun 21, 2011
    So I have a Fender Modern Player Jaguar which I wanted to mod just a bit. I ordered a P and J Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound Pickup for it. Just picked them up and just noticed when I got home that they ordered me a J neck pickup instead of a J bridge pickup. My question is this, if I put the neck pickup in the bridge position, will it throw my tone out of whack with phasing issues or will the pickup suffice in the bridge position?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. matante

matante

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Take it back. They should happily correct their mistake.

3. parsons

parsons

Feb 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Return them both for the SPB-2 and Stk j2n. You'll thank me later.

4. bassfart

bassfart

May 5, 2008
    ^^^^
    +1

5. Kappa

Kappa

Jun 21, 2011
    I'm not familiar with any of the Seymour Duncan brands of pickups. I chose the quarter pounders just from reading posts here on the forum. A lot of people have given them good praise. Is there some reasoning behind your suggestion of pickup over the quarter pounders? I'm not doubting your suggestion, just trying to educate myself a bit better in this field.

I play mostly classic rock and blues.

Thank you all so far for your answers to my initial query.

6. I think what he is saying is that he isn't a big fan of the quarter pounders.

I have a quarter pounder (although different model) that I am growing less fond of over time.

Sorry - just noticed we aren't answering your question!

I have no idea!

7. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I absolutely hate the quarter pounder in my Mark Hoppus to me it's a harsh sounding pickup that's noisy I could have a bad one but I'm replacing it.

8. Liam76

Liam76

Dec 28, 2012
    I have a j-bass with quarter pounders, and like the originals, the neck pickup is shorter than the bridge (lengthwise). So, you might have a bit of a gap on the ends of the pickup route. But from what I remember, the poles and mounting ears are the same as the bridge pickup.

9. Kappa

Kappa

Jun 21, 2011
    The poles and mounting ears were a bit shorter (by about 1/16th of an inch). I just used the existing pickup cover that came with the old bridge pickup. Everything seems to be working good. Took about an hour from beginning to end. Not a hard job at all.

I do still get a bit of a hiss from the bridge pickup. I got the same hiss from the old bridge pickup. Would changing the pot, replacing the cap, or copper shielding the whole cavity rectify this or is this just a common thing with Fender bridge pickups?

Thanks to everyone for their input. Appreciate it.

10. matante

matante

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    It's hissing because it's a single coil pickup, like your original was.

If you wanted to get rid of the hiss you should have bought a split-coil or stacked coil pickup instead. I think that's the advice you were receiving here.

11. Kappa

Kappa

Jun 21, 2011
    I don't think I received such advice. Someone suggested different pickups but never specified why to use different pickups over the quarter pounders. Maybe I should have just educated myself better before buying them.

12. Hey everyone, while we're on the subject of the SD Quarter pound (SJB-3)........I have also been thinking about upgrading my jazz pickups.

What do you think about putting the SJB-3 in the neck and the SJB-2 in the bridge??

13. matante

matante

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Live and learn. You may be able to reduce some of the hiss with shielding tape, but if it really bugs you, and if that was your main reason for changing pickups, you need something else.

Look for the terms "split coil" or "stacked coil". Your P pickup is a split coil, which is why it doesn't have that hiss.

14. Do the copper shielding.

It is a great project and can yield amazing results.

A fellow TB'r did a full shielding on my single coil bass and it is silent.

And to make the QP's sound their best, lower them a couple millimeters more than usual. Push them way down and the sound wakes up.

15. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Honestly, for juiced up pickups, I like the Model J more and they're humbuckers. But I used to run QP's in my P Lyte and they worked really well in it for a little while. Never used to get hum at most gigs. They're a good pickup...I wouldn't give up on them just yet, but if you do, Model J's.

16. Kappa

Kappa

Jun 21, 2011
    I'm not giving up on them at all. Besides the little hiss, (which I found became better as I tilted the bass at a certain angle and eased up on the volume just a bit) they sound pretty great. They really growl.

@Solarman and Matante: thank you very much for your input I'll try shielding the whole cavity to see if that eliminates the hissing. I'll also try lowering the pickups some more as you suggested Solarman.

@Mojo: I don't know anything about the sbj2 pickup you speak of but the sbj3 sounds great minus the slight hiss. Hopefully I can remedy that with copper shielding the cavity.

17. parsons

parsons

Feb 22, 2008
    Maryland
    That's why I suggested the Stk j2b. It's a stacked humbucker J. It also sounds better than the QPs. The QPs are scooped heavily in the mids and sound like crap to me. I've had them in many basses and always ended up ripping them out for the SPB2 and stkj2b.