Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Seymour Duncan Replacement on Ibanez

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by improvpwnd, Dec 15, 2005.

1. OK so I want to replace one of my stock Ibanez SR885 pickup (ADX5) with a the Seymour Duncan Musicman 5er Replacement. I spoke to my luthier about it already and, physically, everything should work out (pickup placement spacing, string spacing, etc.. all compatible) but the thing he was not sure on is how my existing preamp in my SR885 will react to it. Anyone know if this can be done, any electronic problems, or ever do this before? Should we just contact Seymour Duncan? Any help would be appriciated..thanks!

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I've had a number of factory preamps but I haven't swapped other pups into them. Typically they've come with pups I bought and I haven't even bothered to install them. With the after market pre's I never ran into incompatibility issues with any pups and I doubt there would be any with factory pre's. Whether the results are desireable tonewise is a different matter. In general factory pre's tend to be on the anemic side in terms of boost/cut but you're not going to melt anything down by trying it out. Try it, see what you get, and go from there. If it works acceptably you've saved the cost of an aftermarket pre and the installation too.

3. its not an after market pre, its the one built into my SR885. just wondering if the passive Seymour Duncan will be compatible (too hot, etc.) with my active electronics.

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

yep, got that part.

Try it, see what you get, and go from there.

You can email SD but I doubt they can answer the question beyond speculation either but you can email (or call) them and find out. In my experience with SD, they're not going to tell you something they don't know and they do know their stuff.

5. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Interesting post:
    On this thread:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=158378