Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Seymour Duncan SFX-01 Pickup Booster for bass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by fenderaholic, May 25, 2005.

1. fenderaholic

fenderaholic

May 25, 2005
    Burbank ca
    has any one tryed the Seymour Duncan SFX-01 Pickup Booster on bass. what does it sound like im lnterested in buying one.

thanks eric

2. Schizoid75

Schizoid75

Apr 27, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Hey, Eric. I used one in my board for about 3 or 4 months. I wanted something that would give me a little boost for certain sections of songs where I need to stand out. PROS: Excellent construction, worked flawlessly, takes up very little space on the pedalboard.
    CONS: Switch thing did nothing for me. (Used it with Aero soapbars w. coil taps and all passive electronics). Even at the lowest settings, too much gain.

I can't remember what the lowest setting is, but I think it might be 6db, which seemed too much for me. I didn't want to overtake the stage, just jump out a bit. YMMV.

3. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I've got one (and several other boosts) and very much like it... clean boost, doesn't sound shrill and dull... sounds pretty much like your un-boosted tone, only louder. The switch is subtle, but possibly useful (probably not, tho)... I usually set mine for about 9-10 dBs of boost, maybe less, and use it for solos or for overdriving the preamp when using bridge pickup alone... sounds fantastic in this capacity.

4. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Exactly...in my book this thing doesn't know how to do "subtle". And the switch is terrible, it pop's when I use it...not smooth at all. But if you're wanting a boost in gain it's definately give it to ya!