1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Seymour Duncan SFX06 Paranormal Bass DI Pedal

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by St. Louis Scot, Oct 15, 2013.

1. St. Louis Scot

St. Louis Scot

Sep 16, 2013
    Austin, Tx
    I play a regular gig twice a week in a large room and once a week in a smaller room. I play a passive bass > DI > FOH. In the larger room I use a Tech 21 BDDI.

For the smaller room, I can get a Seymour Duncan SFX06 Paranormal Bass DI Pedal pretty inexpensively. My research has shown that nobody carries them new anymore. Why not? Has SD stopped production? If so, have you had any experiences to share about them being sub par? :confused:

Note: I chose this forum because I think techs and tone chasers would have the best feedback on DI boxes.

2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Yes, I have one on my board. This is a neutral sounding pedal...there's virtually no difference in the passive and active tones with the EQ flat. The 3 band EQ is voiced nicely and offers some usable tone sculpting options but no discernible OD. The "slap" contour if worthless IMO as it over-boosts the low-end. It can be tamed to some degree with the EQ, though. They are built like tanks. This is a discontinued SD product but you can still find them on E-bay on occasion. It's a decent pedal but never really quite caught on. They also discontinued my SD DoubleBack compressor.

Riis

3. St. Louis Scot

St. Louis Scot

Sep 16, 2013
    Austin, Tx
    Great feedback. Thanks. :thumbup: ;)

4. Love the double back. Don't we mate?

5. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    No worries, mate! Definitely a sleeper but well-regarded and still my main go-to compressor. I flip-flopped between the BDDI and Paranormal but two of my rackmount pre's are SansAmp so there was a bit of a redundancy. Also snagged another Studio Channel on the cheap! I brought the PA home for some upgrades and maintenance and will A/B the Paranormal and RPM DI's straight to the mixer. More to come!

Riis