Seymour Duncan SMB 4d. Am I missing something?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Hardbassjunkie, Dec 20, 2019.

1. I just my first pickup switch project on a Chinese made Sterling Sub ray 4, which by the way is awesome. I also happen to have the Seymour Duncan spb 4d pick up laying around so I thought I'd make it switch just because. I recorded both and A/Bed it and I can definately here the difference. There seems to be more clarity on the low end. It's quite subtle. I'm wondering if I'm missing something here because when I put SD pickups on my precision bass there was a BIG difference.

Anyone else have experience?

2. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Commercial User

Sep 1, 2015
    Writer/Ambassador/Artist/Resident Bass Expert for Seymour Duncan
    Different pickup models in different basses will have different results. Some people might hear it as massively better, or horribly worse, I'd think.

pcake likes this.
  3. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    The stock preamp might be limiting the impact of the pickup change.

4. I thought about that too. But the subtle difference has deterred me from investing more money. Then again maybe my expectations are too high.

5. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Apparently the difference between your old Sub pickup and your SMB is less than the difference in your old Precision pickup and your Duncan replacement. There are lots and lots and lots of different pickups out there, and they all have different attributes. You happened upon two that are more alike than different.

6. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Commercial User

Sep 1, 2015
    Writer/Ambassador/Artist/Resident Bass Expert for Seymour Duncan
    I think the main issue when switching pickups is examining our expectations. If we buy a pickup because we want more concrete improvements, like 'more power' or 'less mids', we will make a better choice than someone just looking for 'better'.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 23, 2022