1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Seymour Duncan SMB4A?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by smo, Dec 1, 2005.

1. Hi everyone!

I currently play through a Yamaha RBX 160 4string bass (which i've had for about 10 years) and I'm looking at upgrading the pickups.
    I've come across someone willing to sell a Seymour Duncan SMB4A, cheap. I'm pretty experienced with woodworking, have a router etc. and the work would be easy - BUT - would this be a good idea?
    What sound is this pickup comparable to? (Is the Stingray tone close?)
    What other changes would i need to make?
    (My current bass has only VOL and TONE knobs - would i need to add a pre-amp or extra nkobs etc?)

I'm a bit of an electronics noob, so please explain what you mean (as if speaking to a noob. :help: )

Thanks in advance,
    smo

2. I have the 5-string version in two of my basses (one active, one passive) and I love it to bits. It's definitely Stingray though maybe a bit more "refined" and not so agressive as the ceramic magnet version. It's a passive pickup and doesn't need a pre.

3. Thanks.

Will I need to add more tone controls, other than the VOL, and single tone knob?