1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Seymour Duncan SPB-1 and SJB-3 paired?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by RattleSnack, Jun 11, 2012.

1. RattleSnack

RattleSnack

Sep 22, 2011
    Europe
    I have a decent Precision clone with SPB-1 pickup and am enjoying the tone. But, since it is an inexpencive guitar, I have been considering upgrade - adding a jazz bridge pickup for more versatility.

A friend is offering a SJB-3 Quarter-pound bridge pickup for a good price. Should I try to pair it with my SPB-1? If so, what connection - VVT, VBT, or existing VT with three position switch?

According to this page, here are specs:
    SPB-1 has DC resistance of 11.6 k and resonant peak 11.6 kHZ.
    SJB-3 has DC resistance of 14.61 k and resonant peak 3.9 KHz.

2. gunlak

gunlak

Nov 24, 2009
    Philippines
    and STK-J2 would be perfect for the P/J setup so whenever you blend the 2 pickups together, there'll be no hum whatsoever.

but if you'll get the SJB-3 for cheap, why not? it wouldn't be that noisy anyway. a good shielding job would reduce the audible 60cycle hum.

for the controls, it's up to you on what you're most comfortable with.

What I did on my SX PJ was I wired it V/V coz I play punk rock and never use the tone knob.

[​IMG]

3. RattleSnack

RattleSnack

Sep 22, 2011
    Europe
    Thank you for a quick answer! I also think I should go for it, since price is half of what new pickup costs - and if I dont like it, I can always resell it and get something else.

My main concern is this - is SJB-3 too loud (or in any other way) incompatible with SPB-1? I believe that Prec pickups are generally louder than Jazz pickups, so this combination could be well balanced. Am I wrong?

4. gunlak

gunlak

Nov 24, 2009
    Philippines
    just compensate with the pickup heights and it'll be all good.

5. RattleSnack

RattleSnack

Sep 22, 2011
    Europe
    Had a chance to try a bass with this pickup yesterday. I liked the sound, it is full and has lots of bass, should be a good match for my SPB-1.

Another thing I am thinking about - friend that is selling it to me said he was not completely happy with its position. I used search and noticed there are two positions that people mostly use for a j pickup - a 75' positio (close to bridge) and earlier one (closer to neck pickup). I think I could benefit more from closer to bridge position.

Do you have some recomendations or ideas regarding this?

6. Oobly

Oobly

Jun 19, 2008
    The SJB-3 is very hot (overwound) for a J style pickup, so it won't be as bright as a standard J, a lot warmer / bassier.

I also think the position closer to the bridge will suit the pickup more. It will brighten it up and help balance the pickup volumes. That said, I'm not sure it's a good idea to cut a route in the bass to mount the SJB-3 and then decide it doesn't sound how you want and change to a STK-J2 or other pickup and discover it should be further from the bridge, but I guess it's up to you to decide if the risk is worth it.

On the other hand, using the position closer to the bridge will provide a bigger difference in tone between the neck and bridge pickups, so it may work great with other pickups, too...

7. RattleSnack

RattleSnack

Sep 22, 2011
    Europe
    Thanks for all answers, they are very helpful. If anyone else has anything more to say or some experience to share, I would be grateful?

I will let you know how this upgrade turn out.

8. RattleSnack

RattleSnack

Sep 22, 2011
    Europe
    I decided to go for it and had luthier install SJB-3b in standard 70s jazz position.

I am very happy with it, sound goes from truly vintage (with only SPB-1 on) to very modern sounding with both volumes on - sound is modern, SJB-3 dominates with upper-mid bite and adds some low end. SPB-1 is still very present in low mids. And if I reduce SPB-1 volume just a little bit - I get modern jazz-like sound, quite similar. Slap sound with both pickups on is very good, got compliments in my band for using it.

I guess my luthier did good job with shielding because there is no hiss or hum even when I use SJB-3 singled out...

Anyway, I can recommend this combination, versatility is great, price of these pickups is fairly low considering what I got (used SJB-3 was only 30 euro).