Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Seymour Duncan SPB-2 vs. Lindy Pbass pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jokerjkny, May 17, 2002.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Fight!

seriously, which do you like better? and why? i want something clear yet with a focused bottom end.

2. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    Can't speak for the Lindy Fralins. I have had a SPB2 in a Yamaha for about 2 years now. With DR Highbeams this bass lacks no bottom end, fingers or pick. Roll of the treble, get the vintage sound. This pu up was a great improvement over the original. I will add that this bass has great acoustic tone and focus (plus the rib shaking qualities :O) which are a requirement before I buy any bass.

3. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Why not add Fender reissue 62P pups to this comparison. Many people swear by them.

4. Blux

Blux

Feb 5, 2002
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    posting just to keep track of this post - I put SPB2
    on a Squire

5. I had the SPB2 in my MIM P and took it out, in favor of a DiMarzio DP146 Will Power Middle. The Duncan was too middy sounding for my taste and didn't have the bottom I got from the DiMarzio.

Both the Duncan and DiMarzio appear to have much less "percussive" effect than the factory MIM pickup has.

6. my rio grande Muy Grande for P bass in my '78 is killer! Earthquake lows, great mids, defined hi's (although not too bright) and HOT. think of it as the perfect 70's pbass sund - round and woody and slightly nasty. this thing overdivest the front of my apm perfeclt - pull back a bit, and she's a kitten. .02 deposited,:)

7. hibeam

hibeam

Oct 16, 2002
    USA
    Do any of the pickups on this thread have an ultrabright quality? I too am looking to replace the stocks on my American P...I want a smooth tone somtimes...then slappy bright others....bah...guess its time to save for a MM stingray.

8. rumblethump

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    Blux, what is your assessment of the SPB2?

9. Bonafide

Bonafide

Oct 15, 2002
    The reason the Duncan was too middy and the reason they both have less 'percussiveness' is because of the pickups you chose.
    The SPB2 is a 'hot' pickup. More windings lead to less bass and highs and more mids, that was the idea. You chose a pickup that was SUPPOSED to mid-rangy and then took it out because it was too mid-rangy. Go figure.

If you want a classic P-bass tone, low bottom and growly, choose a vintage replacement like a SPB-1 or an Antiquity.

10. Blux

Blux

Feb 5, 2002
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    Oh, it is many times better than original, and did improve the sound. Then I got a Yamaha NE-1 and that helped too. Playing it thru a G-K 800RB and a used Genz-Benz 210XB, is has a decent sound. I may try changing the bridge. And if that doesn't help may trying another Pick-up (used if I can find one).

That all could change if and when I get a job. Laid off 4 months ago as a programmer/analyst, because my job went off shore (to India). Good old American Company (Aetna) trying to make more money for Wall Street.

11. rumblethump

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    BRUX, I'm currently using SS DR HighBeams ER-50 50 - 110
    strings and they made a world of difference.

12. Blux

Blux

Feb 5, 2002
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    I use D'Addario XL's which are good and GHS Boomers, which were too bright for a Precision.

What flat wound's has anyone tried?

13. I just put my Fluke DVOM on my old set of Fender MIM P pickups, and measured 4.769 kOhm. This is far lower than the after market pickups. The MIM pickup has two bar magnets on the bottom, on each side of the pole pieces. The bar magnets are metal, so I don't think they are ceramic. Anybody know for sure?

The Duncan Hot P (SPB-2) measures 22.44 kOhm compared to the 22.40 kOhm spec published by Duncan. Very accurate. This explains why the SPB-2 is *so* much louder than my stock MIM pickup, but also explains why it is so mid-emphasized. Perhaps this also explains the missing percussive factor in the Duncan.

The Duncan is highest DC resistance of all the pickups I currently have cataloged. The Fender MIM is by far the lowest.

If anybody has accurate DC resistance for other pickups, please send to me, and I will include the data in my spread sheet.