Seymour Duncan SPB-3 Aguilar OBP-3

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Tim de Martino, Jul 31, 2021.

1. Hi folks,

This post is for info in case anyone does a specific search like I tried to do, not finding much. FYI, I play various styles - rock, tropical (Carribbean, Zouk etc.), blues, Afro, funky/jazzy, ambient.

Just swapped out pickups on my mahogany/maple neck Warmoth/Fender jazz. I've had Bartolini classic humcancelling ones in there for years with the OBP-3 and switchable series wiring. They have never done it for me, kind of polite, low power. Could be me, could be them, whatever. Bass doesn't get much use - NS Design, Steinberger etc have always got more action.

I installed the Duncans and for me the combo works really well. Only tested at low power through the old Hartke LH1000/Hydrive 410 setup but yeah, big difference (as you would guess). The OBP-3 is now more useful for EQ fine tuning rather than tone shaping as I was using it. I much prefer the output and tone of the Quarter Pounders when passive and could easily live without active EQ.

The SPBs are deep, modern and the bridge tone def has the guts that I was looking for. Could be very different at full power but I've got enough problem solving EQ to make it work, I think.

End of transmission.

2. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2022