1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Seymour Duncan SPB-3 Quarter pound Pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by angerbill, Jun 27, 2016.

1. angerbill

angerbill

Oct 5, 2008
    Egypt
    One of these on my local CL for $45. I have a Squire P-bass with a badass bridge. Mixed reviews on this PU on the net but I'm thinking at least it's better than stock Squire PU's? Getting ready to put flatwound strings on it. So would be a good time for the electrical change out. Just want some opinions. Not a gigging bass player, this will go through a Sansamp pr Magicstomp for recording. I don't hate the sound of the instrument but I do like upgrades. Peace and Thanks!

2. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    You should try it.
    Lot ppl claim SPB-3 sound scoop and modern. But, sometime it sound right if your bass guitar come with bright mid tone charactor.

3. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    I wouldn't count on it

4. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    ...because?

5. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    Depends on your tone goals. I've done that swap before on an Affinity P. There's not a better/worse answer here. Vintage - probably the OEM Squier. Aggressive - SPB-3

6. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Because bland and bright generally sounds better than boomy, mid scooped and a harsh high end.

spaz21387 and petrus61 like this.
  7. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    Fair enough, and good to know. I have an SJB-3B paired with a late '80s Bill Lawrence P-601. I like the SJB-3B (which is anything but mid-scooped) and have been considering (on and off) the SPB-3 to go with it, but mid-scoop with a harsh top is something I really don't want - the P-601 is neither of these things and I know it's a keeper - I was just curious. :)

8. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Commercial User

Sep 1, 2015
    Writer/Ambassador/Artist/Resident Bass Expert for Seymour Duncan
    I dig em. I always will choose bold and authoritative vs weak & bland.

9. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

Do it. At that price you can easily recoup your cost should you not find it to be an improvement. You would be out 30 minutes with a soldering iron and a screwdriver should you decide to reverse the mod. I would be willing to bet you do find it to be an improvement but it is extremely subjective. I had the SPB-3 in my P-bass for years. I recently swapped in an Antiquity II but I enjoyed the QPs for probably 5 years~.

10. trebbihm

trebbihm

Dec 7, 2014
    Inland Empire
    If it doesn't work, just flip it in the marketplace here.

For science!

John Swartz likes this.
  11. I'd look for a used SPB-1 or SPB-4 first...heck, even the Fender Originals can be had around here for about that much. The QP is kind of geared toward a certain aggressive style of music and I found that to make it suit more common styles, it took a heck of a lot of EQ...and even that is an excerisise in futility because you can't really add (low mids) what isn't there to begin with without exaggerating the less desirable frequencies. Then again, you may love it. While it will most likely be a departure from your current pickup, whether it's better is highly debatable.

Zoobiedood likes this.
  12. +1 spb-1, it's the best aftermarket P pickup i've ever heard and i've tried many

Frenchy-Lefty likes this.
  13. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    I hated the spb3 worst pickup duncan offers. The stock squier pickup was better in my old vm p bass...

Frenchy-Lefty and Hopkins like this.
  14. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    I've always liked Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders. When my stock 1976 p'up died unceremoniously in it's sleep one night sometime in 1985, I popped in a 1/4er pounder. They were fairly new and getting rave reviews in all the magazines for their extended tonal range and high output. I love mine. Still going strong 30 years later.

Zoobiedood likes this.
  15. SPB1 all the way.

16. Zoobiedood

Sep 1, 2015
    The QPs can be really polarizing, for guitarists as well as bassists. Fortunately, there are choices out there.

17. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    The liver and onions of bass pickups. You either hate them or love them, there is no in between.

John Swartz likes this.
  18. Zoobiedood

Sep 1, 2015
    Haha, great way of putting it!! FYI I hate liver and onions. I don't mind the QPs for the right music.

19. I use Quarter Pounders in my Squier P-Bass - I like them a hell of a lot better than the stock ones.

John

Zoobiedood likes this.
  20. shoulderpet

shoulderpet

Sep 24, 2015
    You may or may not like the Quarter Pounders depending on your tonal goals, they have a slight scoop in the low mids but strong high mids and treble, if brightness and clarity are important to you then the Quarter pound pickup is a good choice. The below link gives a good idea of what to expect

Jinglesmeowmeow and Zoobiedood like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 4, 2021