Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

seymour duncan spb-3

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by whoblowsthere, Feb 4, 2005.

1. whoblowsthere

whoblowsthere

Dec 28, 2004
    los angeles
    how good is seymour duncan spb-3 quarter pound?

i know its good 4 picking but does it also sound good when using ur fingers?

2. honeyboy

honeyboy

Oct 31, 2004
    I think they sound like the ones I took off my Japanese Squire but louder. The tone controls give lots of variety from very punchy to smooth and mellow. I have smoothwound strings and they are fine. They don't really alter the tone I was previously getting, just lots more volume and power when needed.

3. I swapped out the stock split coils in my ibanez with the SPB-3's a while back. I was looking for a punchier sound and a broader tone. These definitely fit the bill! They are by far the hottest passive pickups that I have played. They have huge pole pieces which make them drive huge sound into even the smallest of amps. I finger pick this bass 90% of the time, and I am definitely satisfied with the sound that I get. One must be careful when setting the pickup height on the treble side, as too high will create a VERY bright tone that distorts easily.

4. whoblowsthere

whoblowsthere

Dec 28, 2004
    los angeles
    sweet! thanks

i was also wondering... passive or active?

5. whoblowsthere

whoblowsthere

Dec 28, 2004
    los angeles
    i was looking at the wiring diagram at the seymour duncan website and i didnt get how it said solder to the ground? so u literally solder the wire 2 the ground?

6. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    Everything that "goes" to ground in the schematic gets wired together.
    The output jack ground ends up going to the amp's ground when your bass is plugged in. The amp's power cord ground goes to your wall socket. The wall socket will eventually go to earth ground.