1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Seymour Duncan SPB-4 matched with jazz bridge pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Dynomuttasaurus, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Dynomuttasaurus

Dynomuttasaurus

Jul 23, 2016
    Milwaukee
    Hi experts and knowledgeable folks. Here's my first-world problem. I bought a new bass because the price was ridiculously low and it looked and felt gorgeous. The stock pickups are PJ configured and I measured the P at 7.5k ohms and J at 6.7k ohms. It's almost too bright in the highs and lacks some punch int he lows. I'm going to keep in passive, and I play in a two-guitarist, late 80s-early 90s hard rock/grunge band.

Alright, so here's my thought; throw a Seymour Duncan SPB-4 in for the P, but how to match the J? Do I go with a hotter J, like something in the 10k ohm range from Guitarfetish? My son has Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders in his PJ bass and I don't want to copy him. And, Steve Harris is a massive influence on my personal playing style.

Okay, chime in if you have advice.

2. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    7.5k seems wimpy for a P-Bass pickup. I’m not surprised by your description.

As for a Jazz bridge pickup to match with the SPB-4, I would take a look at the Seymour Duncan Hot Stack Jazz Bass STK-J2B. It’s a hotter pickup to keep up with the SPB-4, and it’s noiseless, so you can blend the pickups however you want with no hum.

Zoobiedood and Dynomuttasaurus like this.
  3. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    I have an SPB-4 paired with an SJB-2 which balances very well.

4. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Commercial User

Sep 1, 2015
    Writer/Ambassador/Artist/Resident Bass Expert for Seymour Duncan
    The SJB-2 is always the J I recommend to go with the SPB-4.

Dynomuttasaurus likes this.
  5. tlite

tlite

Aug 18, 2016
    Florida
    Thread is getting crusty, but I needed to thank you for this post. I was wondering what to pair with my SPB-4, saw this thread, bought an SJB-2 and they match extremely well. Great suggestion.

Zoobiedood and JGR like this.
  6. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    Hey, glad to hear it!