1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Seymour Duncan Stc-3a questions

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lowfreqfreak, Mar 17, 2008.

1. lowfreqfreak

lowfreqfreak

Jul 1, 2001
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Basses, GHS Strings
    Hi-

I own a Warwick Streamer Stage II and I'm looking to replace the stock MEC pre-amp and pickups with a STC-3a and probably the AJB-5s basslines. I want the sound of the STC-3a, but I want to keep the control layout and options that exist on the bass as it is stock.

My only complaint with what I've read about the STC-3a so far is that when it is installed, my bass is no longer able to play passive.

The current (stock) pot configuration on the bass is
    1. (stacked) Volume/blend with push pull passive/active mode switch
    2. Bass
    3. Mid
    4. Treble

I want to keep the option of switching between passive and active, but I do not want to install a mini toggle or do any sort of modification to my bass.

Has anyone had the same goals and maybe success in modifying the preamp?

Can SD produce a custom order for me?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

2. elpelotero

elpelotero

Jun 16, 2006
    I was in your same situation several months ago...same bass and all. I bought the preamp from someone on this board and called Seymour Duncan. They sent me a brand new wiring harness free of charge (not the preamp board, just the wires and pots all soldered on). That way I only had to unclip the old wires and put the new ones. Simple.

I also bought the AJB5s from someone here.

On judgment day, I took all the MEC stuff out, made a few soldering connections, and slowly began to try and piece this thing together. After a couple of phone calls to SD tech dept., I finished the mod. I also wired it to 18v, so I have two batteries squished very, very tightly in there. It looks messy, but gets the job done. When I have time I may try to fix it up. I used this schematic to do everything: http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=3bandtc Make sure you use the 100k blend pot.

Now, the control layout and knobs...The new control layout, as it comes stock from Seymour Duncan, is:
    1) volume knob with pull switch for slap mode (you can adjust frequencies for slap on a trim pot)
    2) pickup pan knob
    3) mid
    4) stacked bass and treble

What I lost:
    -the stacked volume, pickup pan, and pull for passive pot
    -the gold warwick stacked knob does not fit on the stacked Seymour Duncan bass/treble pot. So right now I have three gold knobs and a pot shaft sticking out of the fourth hole. I have to either find a knob that will fit or drill the gold Warwick knob slightly so it can fit the new thicker pot.

I didn't have to drill anything. I would recommend you also replace the Warwick input jack for a Switchcraft jack, as the Warwick one is very loose.

The AJB5's take a lot of tweaking to get the output even on all sides. I had trouble getting the G and B strings to sound as thick as the other strings. It simply takes a good while of trial and error with the screwdriver. My B string now knocks over small children. If you replace the pickups, be careful when playing with the screws. Be sure to use only Warwick screws or you will strip the little gold ferrels and unlatch them from the wood. I was stupid and tried using new different screws...

Despite what seems a good deal of headache, it is fair to mention that I was a rookie at doing any sort of mod. I'm sure the second time around I'd do it much better. However, the TONE I got out of all of this is much much better than anything I ever got from MEC. I play through an Eden rig and when I get things loud and dig in, the growl is unmistakable. Pure Incubus and 311 all over. Even the frequencies on the preamp are much better. The bass=30hz, mid=650hz, treble=about 6khz. The MEC is bass=100hz (second harmonic, not deep enough), mid=800hz (too honky), treble=8.5khz (too brittle).

I do miss the passive mode some because I used to use it on a specific song, but it's nothing I would go back for because I much prefer the newer tone I have.

PM/email me if you have questions.

PS I like your band. Sick flame you got on that animal too. I can hear it in the songs.

3. lowfreqfreak

lowfreqfreak

Jul 1, 2001
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Basses, GHS Strings
    Thanks for the reply... check your email.