Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

seymour duncan stingray5 pickup into Jazz 5

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Ripper75, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Ripper75

Ripper75

Aug 8, 2005
    Boise, ID.
    I love my Jazz 5, but looking to give it a better bottom end sound, looking into seymour duncan basslines. any comments?

2. Do you have a preamp installed... that might be a quicker, easier and more effective way to get some additional tone capabilities.

3. Ripper75

Ripper75

Aug 8, 2005
    Boise, ID.
    no preamp. what do you suggest? just not sure those old little fender pickups are doing it for me. the neck is somewhat flaed so I dont mind doing a little drilling in the body to fit new pickup, but not sure it will make a big difference.

4. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    im modding my MIM j5 with a MM p-up in the neck pos just to get agresive growl from it and warm bright end from the bridge jazzp up, and also because MIM p-ups s*x.

5. IMO, if you are just looking for a little more balls, bottom and sizzle... just pop a J-Retro or something in there. I think that will actually make much more of a difference than a pickup swap. I'm sure other TBer's will chime in... I'm not that familiar with your particular bass. However, my Lakland and Sadowsky basses sound WAY better to me with the preamp on than in passive mode.... I think the J-Retro might be a quick fix... if your bass is like a classic jazz with the metal piece that contains the knobs, you don't even have to do any routing or drilling.