Seymour Duncan trimpots inoperable?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by songwriter21, Nov 7, 2016.

1. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Hey All,

Just got a new bass, and it's got an SD 3-band with two trimpots inside the cavity. There's no switch or push/pull function for the mids. The switch you see, is for series/sc/parallel operation. I would've thought that one pot is for overall gain, and the other maybe being the overall frequency of the mids? There's no "slap switch", so I can't figure this out, as I'm not hearing a difference as I turn the pots' dials (while I hit the strings).

Any help is appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Okay, so I found a schematic of the pre, and it seems the pot on the left is a bass boost, and the right one is a mid-cut. Still weird, because there's no slap switch that I know of on here. Why would they eliminate that when it's standard from SD?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
  3. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Commercial User

Sep 1, 2015
    Writer/Ambassador/Artist/Resident Bass Expert for Seymour Duncan
    Did you buy it new? Or from someone else? Did you determine that the pots were working?

4. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    I got it used, and it's hardly been played. I wrote Seymour Duncan and ESP (E-II AP-5 bass) about this, too.

5. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Got it, the slap switch is present...all good.

6. Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    It is push pull on the volume pot. Sorry I neglected to mention that.

7. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    I thought it was the midrange knob. Glad it's the volume knob, so it doesn't mess up my regular mid setting. I set the contour levels, and it's fantastic.

Zoobiedood likes this.
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021