1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Seymour Duncan TweakFuzz clips

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mudfuzz, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    This has been asked for a few times so here y'all are.

Yes the volume changes. No it can't be helped:spit:

In short
    Good:
    A nice vintagy sounding fuzz
    Flexible
    Built like a tank
    Is yellow

Bad
    Not a lot of out put gain on tap
    Loses lows on some settings
    Is yellow

Clips
    Recorded w' Jazz bass w' flats > Tascam fireone > Apple Sound track pro, no eq or fixes of any kind used; I just plugged in and played baddly:p
    Each clip is of one of the six tweak settings

2. Rock-Bassman

Rock-Bassman

Dec 25, 2008
    Boston
    Sounds good! How much does it do for??

3. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    Around $100, you can get them an ebay cheaper sometimes.

I got mine in trade.

----------------------------
    Oh
    The artifacts arn't on my recordings, must have happened in the host's end.

4. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    some of those sound pretty good. 1 and 2 are super low-sucking though.

all in all sounds like a good deal, especially for a first fuzz - lots of variety - and the low-sucking modes are still useful for truly "vintage" sounds (from back when they used to live with that sort of thing).

I also like the fact that it isn't a super high-output pedal. Sounds like it's designed professionally rather than patched together in a basement.

5. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    I agree it is a good starter pedal for those looking for a classic style of fuzz. And it has no odd quirks which is a good and a bad thing IMOP. I kinda dig the "patched together in a basement" stuff a lot [not all the time though], but to me you are buying them for the quirks, well at least I do.......

6. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    i know where you're coming from - if I ever get into building I am sure I'll rig up mostly noisemakers. But in general, when I buy effects I like to have something that's dynamic and playable, that interacts well with other effects. I can still get weird, believe me!

7. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    :D

Funny thing is that one of best built fuzzes I own is also the weirdest, noisiest, most insane one I own:D

8. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    well then I doubt it was built in a garage with a hot nail and a rusty screwdriver then!

9. p4toda

p4toda

Aug 10, 2008
    At the middle
    well how do you compare/categorize this with other fuzz pedals? will it be an cheap alternative to some boutiques?

enlighten me.

10. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    many of the setting seem to sound really good. Not as good as _______ (insert your favorite fuzz here) but then again, it is pretty flexible!

It costs about a hundred bucks, so do the math

11. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    Good question. To add to what RC just said..

It is technically a mass produced version of the Dirty Boy Afro Fuzz.

The thing about the tweak fuzz [and I love and hate it for this] is it a pedal designed to be flexible and get many sounds [in theory] and so it doesn't really fall into any distinct "well it sounds like this" it is more a "it gets in the ballpark of vintage fuzzes" and yet I'm not sure either if it really has it's own sound, and it you were to pin me down I'd say "it's very good vanilla fuzz". It 's in the Fuzzface/Tonebender vain but not exactly either. The bass and amp combo really play with this one because it doesn't have a over powering coloration like a Big Muff or a Supper Fuzz.

12. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    i didnt realize its lineage, and based on the clips, what you said makes sense - I don't get a sense of personality from the tweak fuzz. it has a lot of voices, but none of them are standout classics

but i'll hut up until i hear one in person...