seymour duncan vs. bartolini MM type pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by neptoon, Aug 30, 2001.

1. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hi guys...i was thinking about having a bass built...6 string...i have pretty much decided to go with a single big ol' music man pick up with exposed pole pieces...triple coil type. i just don't know whether i want to go with a basslines or a bart. i think i'm going to be using a bart preamp--a 5.4. i play several styles...mostly funk, slap, and progressive type music. the sound i try to go after is a robert trujillo/infectious grooves sound...and i like doing the synth thing too. just looking for a couple opinions...thanx!
  2. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    If you take a look at the Lakland website, they have a pretty in-depth comparison between Barts and Basslines pickups, both using a Bart preamp (if I'm not mistaken). Might help you decide....
  3. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hey, thanx for the link! i'll check it out...
  4. jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    I read the Lakeland review and I think it is pretty much correct. The SD will be more aggressive with a scooped EQ, much like the original MM but not as harsh in the top end. The BT will be more mellow and have more mid range.

I would, however, question the use of either of these PUP's in a 6-String application. The wider string spacing may put you outside the useable magnetic fields of the pickup and it will look strange (I would think) to have less pole pieces than strings.

A soapbar of the proper dimensions would seem more appropriate for a 6-String application. OK, well at least more conventional :)
  5. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc

well, i was gonna use a pickup with enough pole pieces. heck, jt has an 8 string bass with a MM pickup on it. :eek: :D i had thought about soapbars, but i don't know...maybe
  6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If you go with a Basslines MM you can choose between alnico and ceramic. I bought the alnico version last month but don't know how it sounds since it's waiting for a custom to be built. The alnico costs not quite twice as much as the ceramic based on the quotes I received. The alnico comes from their Custom Shop.

Maybe you were on the briny blue when this came up not long ago. Take a look here for a lot of input

There is some good comparison info on various makes at
  7. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    on the briny blue indeed...hey, thanx! i didn't see this thread when i did a search before making my own thread...preesh ;)