seymour duncan vs. bartolini ..passive style

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Reverend G-Money, Aug 15, 2001.

1. i am having a bass custom made with passive MM/J style bartolini's. i have heard from a few people that seymour duncans would work better in an all passive situation. Then again a couple of custom manu's have insisted bartolini's will sound fabulous for an all passive bass. Any thoughts from anybody?
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Not long ago, I was undecided between a Basslines alnico MM and a Bart MM. Guitar Villa told me the Bart is more "behaved, transparent, natural, woody soundomng", inferring the Basslines MM sounds more "in your face" and overdriven.

So, I compromised - the bass I have in the works has a Bart soapbar in the neck position, and a Basslines MM in the bridge position, running into a Basslines 3-band Tone Circuit. has tons of J-style pups reviewed in their "Gear" section.
  3. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    If the bass is going to be Active, I would only pick between Bartolini´s (If I want a True sound) or EMG´s (For a "I HIT YOU IN THE STOMACK" sound)

But for passive, I would really pickup the Seymour Duncans.
    For the J Pickup, there is a great Dimarzio (I believe its ultra-jazz) wich has an incredible tone and output.
    Those pickups have hot outputs, that will benefit you in a variety of ways.
    They have more snap as they are.

My Barts do sound good in Passive, but I need to increase the gain on the amp a lot (Compared to other Full Passive basses), And really need to boost the highs to get the snappy tone.

Just my opinion.