Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

seymour duncan vs. bartolini ..passive style

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Reverend G-Money, Aug 15, 2001.

1. i am having a bass custom made with passive MM/J style bartolini's. i have heard from a few people that seymour duncans would work better in an all passive situation. Then again a couple of custom manu's have insisted bartolini's will sound fabulous for an all passive bass. Any thoughts from anybody?

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Not long ago, I was undecided between a Basslines alnico MM and a Bart MM. Guitar Villa told me the Bart is more "behaved, transparent, natural, woody soundomng", inferring the Basslines MM sounds more "in your face" and overdriven.

So, I compromised - the bass I have in the works has a Bart soapbar in the neck position, and a Basslines MM in the bridge position, running into a Basslines 3-band Tone Circuit.

www.bassplayer.com has tons of J-style pups reviewed in their "Gear" section.

3. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Uhmm..
    If the bass is going to be Active, I would only pick between Bartolini´s (If I want a True sound) or EMG´s (For a "I HIT YOU IN THE STOMACK" sound)

But for passive, I would really pickup the Seymour Duncans.
    For the J Pickup, there is a great Dimarzio (I believe its ultra-jazz) wich has an incredible tone and output.
    Those pickups have hot outputs, that will benefit you in a variety of ways.
    They have more snap as they are.

My Barts do sound good in Passive, but I need to increase the gain on the amp a lot (Compared to other Full Passive basses), And really need to boost the highs to get the snappy tone.

Just my opinion.