Seymour Duncan Woody HC on acoustic bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by carcass, Feb 16, 2018.

1. I was thinking the other day, that I would like to put magnetic pickup on acoustic bass and I like easy solutions, so it came to me, that somekind soundhole pickup is the way to go. My knownedge of soundhole pickup is less that minimum, probably better to say - I know only woody series from Seymour Duncan.

I was thinking about this one:

Woody Hum Cancelling

Would this work on acoustic bass as a soundhole pickup? I understand that the poles would be totally of the strings, but is that issue if the edge poles would fit the edge strings?

any thoughts and ideas are most welcomed :)

Stan

2. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Commercial User

Sep 1, 2015
    Writer/Ambassador/Artist/Resident Bass Expert for Seymour Duncan
    This *should* work, but I would order from a place with a return policy. Even if it does hear the strings well, that doesn't mean you will love the EQ. So it is best to try, and that is a great pickup to try with. Personally, I have never tried it, so if you do, report back.

3. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    I've used that pickup on acoustic bass guitar before and it worked fine.
    Be aware you might have to use tape and/or paper shims to make it fit in the sound hole properly and be the right distance from the strings.

4. Zoobiedood

Sep 1, 2015
    There is also the MagMic pickup, which adds a mixable microphone into the formula. I could see an acoustic bass benefiting from a tiny bit of that.

5. I was thinking that if i have good results with this pickup i would mount in there permanently to have a magnetic pickup opportunity if needed :) is it possible to install it together with piezo (this bass has fishman classic 4) so that I would have only one output? of course I would love to add at least volume knob (maybe tone?) on the side of bass and blend it with piezo .. how hard (from electronic point of view) is this operation?

6. Zoobiedood

Sep 1, 2015
    Well, the piezo would need power. It can be done...there are a few guitar brands (Godin, Kiesel) that have both, so you could source those diagrams to see how they do it.

7. well this bass already has preamp for piezo (Fishman Classic 4) as well as output for it, so the only one quesitopns remains - how hard is it to add magnetic pickup with volume and tone knob into the circuit?

I mentioned in my first post that I have zero knowledge of soundhole pickups, that counts for electric circuit of any kind as well :-D

8. Zoobiedood

Sep 1, 2015
    Well, it is a traditional passive pickup, so I'd look at diagrams for guitars that currently blend piezos and passive pickups.

9. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    not that well.

any good acoustic guitar soundhole pickup will be calibrated for bronze-wound acoustic strings, which are very unbalanced magnetically; the plain B is the loudest string of the set while the bronze-wound G is the weakest.

the typical fix is to make the magnets strongest under the G and weakest under the B, to the point of having literally no magnet at all under the B string.

for a bass you want the pickup to have basically equal magnetic force all the way across; only the cheapest, crappiest acoustic pickups will have that.