seymour duncan?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by SLAPBASSPLAYA5, Mar 31, 2004.

1. does anyone have any ideas for good seymour dyncan basslines that are passive? they have to be soapbar style though. basicly i want a p-nut kin of sound...but i dont wanna go active....i have a streamer standard rockbass, so i would think i need soapbar pups.
  2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Bassline soapbars are only active. They don't have passive ones.
  3. scorn...well does anyone know of any passive soapbars that are nicer then a EMG?
  4. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    Not sure what this P-nut sound thing is but just go to the different manufacturer sites and see wassup. I've never checked SD's soaps but I'm a bit shocked they only have active soaps with all the passive J & P pups they've got. And it's not like their preamps have screaming popularity to compliment active pup sales, Duncan's known for their passives. Bart makes passive soaps in various configurations. And I guess you know that just cause a pup has a given shape that doesn't mean that's what's inside, at least with J's and I wouldn't think it'd be any different with soaps.
  5. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    If my sources are correct. Seymour Duncan is a part of Warwick. But with the streamer standard i thought the pickups you get with it are active, so you would need to bypass the pre amp - i think
  6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Where did you hear that????

Anyway, back to the original question. Yes, as Govithoy said, the basslines soapbars are all active.

What EMG's are on the bass at the moment? If you get the dimensions, you'll have a better idea of what replacements are available - there are a few different soapbar sizes, bartolini may be your best bet. Once you have your dimensions, go to and view their catalog.
  7. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Not totally correct, but close. I talked with a tech from DBG, and what he said was that they hired some techs from SD to help in the designing of their p-ups and preamps. In fact, I didn't believe the DBG tech at the time, but since I actually had a 3-band Basslines preamp, I could could do the comparrison, and what I found out was that the preamps are very similar. It's possible that the frequency points are a little different, but the actual unit looks dead on. The p-ups could be a different story. I had some AJB's put into my Corvette Pro, and the addition of those p-ups changed the sound and became a little cleaner sounding, but still similar. There's defintley a SD thing going on with the MEC stuff.
  8. sorry about that, geez i always get EMG & MEC mixed up, yea yea i know emg is better but its just the whole 3 letter names get me mixed up. lol but there MEC pickups i dont know what you guys mean by "demensions" i dont to much about swaping pups so if some one could give me the demesions if they know them...
  9. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Well, P-nut has Basslines AJB's in his main Stage II. The ASB's, I'm sure will have a slightly different sound to them, but they're still going to have that bright, Warwick vibe to them. Picture the MEC's but a little more on the clean side rather than on the harsh side. Hope that helps!