1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

seymour duncans cover

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mahc, Apr 22, 2006.

1. mahc

mahc

Nov 14, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    anyone have any problems with the cover of the quarter pounder pickup cover falling off? i eventually had to tape the cover on to the pickups in order to be able to install it to my sx bass without it falling off...just making sure if it affected the pickups..

also the pickups were hard to install..i dont really like the plastic supports that came with the pickups..it makes the pickups go really low..

2. i'm thinking of getting 2 sets of these for my basses eventually so i'm definatly interested in hearing more of this.

3. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    I had a little trouble with the cover on my quarter pound p-bass pickups as well. They wouldn't stay completely on the pickup, causing a gap between the pole pieces and the cover. So I taped the cover to the pickup, and no problems since.

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    One other solution you can use here is putting some high density foam beneath the pickup, rather than springs n the screws. It will push the pickup into the cover and provide a more stable pickup than springs. I need to do it with my p-bass, because the pickups move around too much.

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Cover are just covers. Most of them fall off if you turn the pup upside down. Some makers put a touch of glue to the top of the pups to hold them in place but most don't. The screws hold the covers in place once their installed and since installed is their intended application, it's not an issue. Tape the cover

Springs whatever that come to mount a pup can be used or not. Pup height is typically something that's adjusted once when installed so it not like any kind of variable height system has some particular application of any merit. You can put whatever works under the pup to get you what you need. I've got a drawer of pup springs. I've never used any of them.

There's nothing unusual or out of line about the above.

6. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    I cut the packing foam into a couple of pieces and put each piece under 1/2 the pickup. This holds the cover in place.

7. mahc

mahc

Nov 14, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    oh..so i guess my covers are normal after all..

i just put springs that came with the sx under the seymour duncans and they are now fine..thanks for the feedback