Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Seymour Duncan's for my Rick

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Dave44, Jan 10, 2002.

1. Hi Folks:

I have been toying with the idea of putting in some new pick-ups on my Rick, I know, I know It'll kill the sound but I need some punch and a little more bottom end something along the lines of a Fender sound. I've been told that Seymour Duncan makes a pick-up designed specifically for the Rick they're called SRB-1B and SRB-1N (bridge and neck). Does anyone have any experience with these pick-ups in a Rick,and how do they sound? they claim HOTTER FATTER and PUNCHY is this true? I would sure appreciate the info before I make a decision.

Thanx Mo

Dave

2. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    before spending money with new pickups, i have a question for you. from your profile i have sen that you plat a rick 4001, same as mine. i understand what you say, but have you done the third capacitor bypass surgery? it's an easy mod that you can ake to 4001 that really increase the tone of the bass, i higly suggest to check this mod. if you need info on how to do that feel free to ask. otherwise i played a rick with duncan pickups and i like it a lot. but if you want a fender tone, save the money and buy a fender (see my profile...rick 4001 and fender P, best of both worlds!)
    ;)

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I agree - try the bypass mod first, if you haven't already. Made my 4001 ROAR!

4. I haven't heard of this mod. Where can I find the scoop on it?

5. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    do yourself a pleasure. go to the basses forum and read the long and really interesting thread titled Rickenbacker. that easy mod will improve dramatically your 4001's sound.