Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Seymour Duncans or Bartolinis for Essex P?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Figjam, Nov 11, 2003.

1. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I plan on replacing the current pickups in my Essex Fretless P bass in about 2 months. I am debating between Seymour Duncan pickups and Bartolinis. Im in a band that plays funk/classical rock. Which pickups do you think will give me a better tone for a fretless? I still want the bass to be relatively punchy and smooth sounding, not too rough and growly.

2. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    If you're open to another suggestion, I'd highly recommend a Nordstrand P. I'm not sure you'd be happy with the tone of the Bart, and it sounds like the Nordie would be perfect for the tone you're looking for. They're wound with Formvar wire and use Alnico 5 magnets. I think it would be perfect for your situation.

3. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    The Barts will be warm and smooth, but not very punchy. The Duncans are punchy and growly. The ones I'd suggest to you are Bill Lawrence. They are less pricey than the Nordstrand pickups and I'd bet they will get you the tone you are looking for. I had them in a fretless jazz and just loved them.

The Bill Lawrence website is here: http://www.billlawrence.com/index.html

BTW, I have no connection to Bill Lawrence. I've just used his pickups and loved them.

JPJ, It is cool that you like the Nordstrand pickups, but I think it might be nice to inform everyone that you recommend them to that you are a dealer.

4. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Xyllion,
    Actually, I do, but I prefer to do that via PM. As a player, I have general opinions that someone might find helpful...just like anyone else at TB. But when it comes to detailed discussions with individuals, I like to keep that off the forum, if you know what I mean. And for the record, I agree....Bill Lawrence makes great pickups too! :D

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ive never heard a p bass with EMG's... how would they be for my situation? It sounds right now that Seymour Duncans would be my best bet, but yea, how bout EMGs? Just wondering.

6. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I recommend a Fender 62 Reissue pickup. Classic tone for a decent price. Great for the style of music you describe.