Seymour Duncans VS. Kent Armstrongs...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Hurezeanu, May 15, 2005.

1. Hurezeanu

May 13, 2005
    hey, im building a bass, and curious about both these pickups, specifically the Seymour Duncan Soapbar pickups and the Kent Armstrong Soapbar Pickups (both passive).

how do they compare in sound? buzzing? etc... which one do you guys prefer over the other? thanks for any help!
  2. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

Going on abut 75 sets of pups now and never had either of those - but I've had plenty of SD's and a set of KA lipsticks. Personally I don't think any maker has any particular edge on anybody else - it depends on what you want and only you know that (if anybody does).

Don't know if Armstrong offers much variety but any of the mass makers like Bart, Duncan, EMG will have pups guys like and pups they don't. They offer a bunch for a reason because different guys will have different needs.

But HB's will be quiet if they're properly installed.
  3. I have a KA Soapbar in my wishbass (don't laugh, it's a great sounding instrument and what I have to say is pertanent to ALL instruments) and it is a fine sounding is very clean and transparent...

Last night I added a series/off/parallel switch to it to take full advantage of the pickup's capabilities...

here's what I discovered

Series mode (the way the bass came wired)...Clean and Transparent tone, really gets the "true" sound of the bass across.

Parallel mode...Deeper, Rounder, a little more "gusto"...attacks are a little less defined.

The series mode would be ideal for accoustic settings as well as soloing, while the parallel mode would probably be the go to on more amplified more rockin-out type settings.

Mind you the differences are not extraordinary, but they are different.

As far as my opinion of the KA Soapbar...let's just say my next project will be a dual KA Soapbar setup...I have in mind a series/single/parallel switch on each pup with a VVT control arrangement.