Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Seymour Duncan's with active pre?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Razor, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Anyone use either the SD Quarter Pounder or Antiquity II P pickups with an active preamp? If so describe how it sounds and what config you have. The 1/4'er and Ant.II P pickups are my two favorites in the passive realm and I'd like to hear from anyone who's used either of these with a pre.

2. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I used the SJB1s with a pre from a MIA Deluxe. I believe the SJB1s were the 'precursor' to the Antiquities. I had them in three basses at one point and still have them in my fretless. Very nice sounding pup. Anyway they worked great with the pre. Kept their vintage character with the controls flat and got pretty aggro in other settings. I changed the Duncan's out for Barts on that bass at the same time I changed to a BA bridge. That combination was terrible. This is a 1 pc Swamp Ash body. Way too bright! The Bart 9J's are much more refined sounding and on that particular bass, that was an improvement.

So after making a short story long. I though the Dunca's were fine with the pre from a MIA J Deluxe using the stock bridge.

3. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Cool...thanks for the review!

4. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I have a QP Jazz set with an old Sadowski pre in a Warmoth Jazz with a Moses neck, and it sounds incredible.