seymour duncans

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Ripper75, Oct 5, 2005.

1. Ripper75

Aug 8, 2005
    Boise, ID.
    just wondering if replacing my old fender jazz 5 string pickups with some new SD's basslines would help the sound, just not as beefy as i want.
  2. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    Being more specific about the sound you want will help people make suggestions. The Fender five string pickups are not very good in the lower models and even some of the MIA models, to my ears. Some of the USA models have good pickups. What model is your bass?
  3. Ripper75

Aug 8, 2005
    Boise, ID.
    not sure what model, it looks old made in usa.
  4. FWIW, run your bass into one of those practice pods, or your HiFi stereo system. The idea is to find out if the lack of beef is caused by your bass, or your amplifcation/speaker chain.

Strings are another factor in beef/tone, and perhaps a stronger factor than the pickup itself. YMMV.

I've come to believe that pickup changes should be the LAST thing a guy does... after first getting his chops, then getting his electronics and speakers in order. Too many guys spend more time GAS'ing than practicing.

If you know a talented monster player, have him play your rig while you listen. You might be amazed at what comes out of your rig in the hands of an excellent player.