1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Seymour SFX-03 Twin Tube pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Michael Vee, Apr 18, 2006.

1. Anyone tried the Seymour Duncan SFX-03 Twin Tube pedal, for bass? I did a TB search on SFX-03 but no results.

Looks interesting for use as a tube preamp pedal. It uses the 6021 miniature tubes, run at high voltage.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/news/press.shtml
    http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/effectsdescr.shtml#booster

From the Seymour site:

"SFX-03 twin tube classic™
    “Boutique quality and design for the working musician.” The sound is classic rock ‘n roll.

application High-quality, two-channel, guitar preamp. Uses a duet of premium, mil-spec, subminiature, USA-made Phillips-Sylvania® 6021 dual triode tubes. Great for country, blues, surf, classic rock.

description The high-plate voltage and 100% vacuum tube signal path allows the tubes to operate at their fullest potential and provide maximum dynamic range. The means you get the most gain and all the smooth tone you expect from a high-quality tube preamp. Two channels provide versatility. True bypass. Fully encapsulated toroidal transformer for quiet operation. Heavy duty steel chassis."

[​IMG]

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Oh man, I have to try one. Just the spec sheet is enough to make me drool. OTOH, the audio samples on the Duncan site show it to be a bit noisy (I know, it's a tube gain booster, it will have noise). The two channels would give it an edge over the English Muff'n.

3. Hey Bongo- you know the tone is good- it's Seymour, after all..

Have you heard the MP3 samples yet? It's played on guitar, but gawd, the tone.. sweet, singing, luscious. It's the quintessence of tube tone.

I'm thinking this could be a extremely nice real tube preamp pedal for bass.

4. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    the only thing that really bothers me about it is.... the tubes are not user-serviceable.
    that being said, i don't know how much trouble the tubes would ever give the user, really.
    i don't know....

5. Bump for a May check-in - anybody tried it out yet?

6. superkicky

superkicky Guest

Sep 3, 2005
    Bump again

7. hensonbass

hensonbass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I bought one of these just to try something off the wall...this is a bad ass pedal. I've been using it as a preamp to run my basses through before going to a DI because we use in-ear monitors (No amps at all). It doesn't loose any low end and it adds a real nice warm grit that you can make nasty too. I also like how it adds some midrange throaty-ness to my sound as well. I went ahead and sold my fulltone bassdrive... it was the older model anyway.

This past week I decided to put a magnetic PU on my upright bass for a more aggressive sound. It didn't have much output so I ran it through the SD... holy crap, I don't think I've ever enjoyed a tone more. I mean I'm now playing almost the whole show with the upright and using a Pedulla Pentabuzz only for the songs that need a low-B string. The rest of the band, soundmen, and fans are telling me it sounds amazing.

I think this preamp should get some more attention with bass players. It's quiet, well-built, and sounds so smooth. I'm almost tempted to buy an English Muffin and compare the two.

http://myspace.com/doublebasstrouble

8. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Wow, I never even thought to try it on bass, and I've had one I use for guitar for ages. OK, this changes everything.

9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Just plugged it in, wow. So I already use an EBS Valve Drive as a preamp/overdrive, and the two together are seriously disturbing. I had no idea, thanks for opening my ears. In the pedal bag it goes.

10. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    clips please

11. +1:)

12. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Clips will be tricky for me, I can hardly post pics. I will say though, the Duncan makes less noise than my EBS Valve Drive, and on the Rythym chanel, it's like a boost, but the lead chanel screams. More fuzz than od, but on top of the EBS, it's terrifying. Will seek help on sound clips, but it won't be today, sorry.

13. Finally, a report!! Yay!

We may be on to something big here..

14. Lowpro

Lowpro

Sep 25, 2006
    Birmingham, AL
    yea, i actually have one in my Guitar Center store, however it has a European psu. right now we're trying to replace it.

If anyone's interested gimme a pm i'll see if I can have it shipped to ya or something.

15. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    The big selling point for me, over all of the other two-stage OD's, is that each stage of this one has its own volume control, so you can set differing amounts of saturation at unity gain; where the Bassdrive, Hematoma, etc. all have an unavoidable volume jump when you step on their boost channel.

Also, I wonder if the treb/bass EQ on this is more or less the same Baxandall tone stack as the Linden EQ we were discussing? That would be cool. The manual doesn't say explicitly, it just says:

16. Cyrus, you thinking of trying one out? I will if you will..

From the product page:

"The high-plate voltage and 100% vacuum tube signal path allows the tubes to operate at their fullest potential and provide maximum dynamic range." Mmm. We all know Seymour's dedication to tone. I like that this unit doesn't have any digital anything- ALL tube signal path - it should be very pure and "organic". A toroidal transformer! Good Gosh!

This unit has pretty high output capabilities, which lead me to wonder if it could be used to pre a power amp. More hmm..

The picture makes the Twin Tube Classic look brown, but then other pics on the Net and mag reviews say it's orange!

I'm not crazy about all those chicken heads, I suppose if the SFX-03 is a keeper, I could go with some small replacement knobs..

17. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Well, I'm into it in theory but I've been playing with less and less dirt over the last few months. I'm all into the very subtle breakup now, so I don't need a high gain channel.

18. The ridiculous other thing to wonder is how one of these would sound into a Bergantino IP cab.

Ding ding! Paging Dr. Bowlus.. Dr. Tom Bowlus!

(Well, he DOES have a J.D. ..)

19. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    I'm curious about this... what kind of power does this thing take? I believe it comes with an adapter but I'm wondering what the specs are.