seymour vintage

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by turkish, Aug 9, 2002.

1. turkish

turkish Guest

Jul 14, 2002
    FCCAUSA, or here
    i was at one of the local music stores and saw a seymour duncan vintage j of 20$. i bought it and wen't home to pop it in. it was a neck pickup with no cover. i decided to put it in my mim zajj. the pickup cover for it didn't fit but luckily i had an olfd white one from and 80's j which fit.
    i put it in and now the pickguard won't fit.

now when i plug it it and i just solo the neck pickup it sounds great but if both are wide open then it sounds really thin with nmo bass or treble. but if you back off on the bridge pickup there is a certain point wheere it seems to "dissapear" and it sounds like it's the neck soloed.

i apologize if this is confusing ( i think it is)
    any ideas?
  2. jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    First of all, the pre-2002 MIM Jazz uses two pickups that are the same size. A standard Fender Jazz has different size pickups in the bridge and neck. Since the Duncan's are designed as a replacement for a standard Jazz, the MIM cover won't fit and the pickguard will need to be modified slightly to fit over the standard cover.

As far as the thin sound, it sounds like the pickups may be out of phase. Reverse the hot and ground wire on the neck pickup and see if this helps. Keep in mind there will always be some tone difference with both pickups wide open versus having one rolled off a little bit.
  3. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I got one of those old J's, too. I haven't installed it, but I did ask about wiring from Duncan. Here's part of what they sent:
    And I have the original maroon cover for mine, but I may not use it when I do the project bass I bought it for. I'm still deciding on whether to sell it or not.