1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SF sessions

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by natbers78, Aug 19, 2007.

1. natbers78

natbers78 Supporting Member

Jun 3, 2006
    Toledo, OH
    Hey everybody-

Can anybody living in the SF bay area give me the scoop on where to go for jam sessions and players/bands/places to check out? I'll be moving there in a few months and will be looking for opportunities/work. I look forward to meeting you and hearing you all play. Thanks!

-Nathan

2. Two of the best-attended sessions in San Francisco are at Grant & Green on Monday nights and at Amnesia on Wednesday nights. There's an earlier session on Wednesdays as well at the Octavia Lounge. When you're about to move let me know and I can fill you in some more.

Aaron

3. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    It's been a while for me but I'll just give you a rundown of where there's stuff going on... you'll have to figure out the time and dates if I don't remember...

* Savanna Jazz - Sunday Nights
    * Shanghai 1930 - Tuesday nights?
    * Club Deluxe - Used to have jazz & spoken word. Not sure if Dan is still doing it
    * Dogpatch Saloon - Sundays? It's "THE" jam. Run by Vince Lateano. I think the crusty vets come here so you better know your stuff.
    * Bistro Yoffi or something like that?
    * Rassellas

Places to watch:
    * Yoshi's Oakland - pretty much the only place that the NYC'ers and big name jazzers will come to play at. Yoshi's is opening a more "local" venue in the Fillmore District sometime soon in SF.
    * Jazz At Pearls
    * Ana Mandara restaurant
    * Bacar restaurant : Guys like Donald Bailey, Scott Amendola, Akira Tana will play there. Local pro's.

Guys to look out for:
    Eddie Marshall (drummer)
    Glenn Richmann (bass - awesome teacher too)
    Mel Martin (sax)
    Scott Amendola (drummer): ex - T.J. Kirk
    John Schott (guitar): ex - T.J. Kirk
    Masha Campagne (singer)

There's more out there obviously.

4. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    for more out stuff you can check:
    http://transbaycalendar.org
    21 grand in Oakland has a lot of great stuff and the Luggage Store Gallery at 6th and Market in SF has creative music every Thursday.
    The Hemlock Tavern has some occasional jazz based music.

5. natbers78

natbers78 Supporting Member

Jun 3, 2006
    Toledo, OH
    thanks!! great info!