1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

[SFX] Micro Fuzz - Review, pics and clip

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DosiYanarchy, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Hi all,

This pedal I have with me now is Micro Fuzz, handmade by Max at [SFX].

http://www.sfxsound.co.uk/mainpage.asp?page=micro_fuzz

001-3.

Dont be fooled by the name, it IS A BASS FUZZ. I should know, as its based on my Colorsound Bass Fuzz, which in turn is essentially a Supa Tonebender tuned for bass.

I bought the Micro Fuzz as a backup to my [SFX] modded colorsound bass fuzz. The Micro Fuzz doesnt include the mod that I have on my colorsound.

I have compared the Micro Fuzz with the stock Colorsound and they sound pretty much IDENTICAL but here are the essential differences between the two pedals:

1. The Micro Fuzz has an LED, the Colorsound does not.

2. The Micro Fuzz takes a boss-style power supply. The colorsound only takes batteries.

3. The Micro Fuzz is actually Micro. The Colorsound is almost embarrasingly big, especially when you realise that it can all fit into something as small as the Micro Fuzz.

4. The Micro Fuzz feels alot more sturdy and according to Max @ [SFX] uses higher quality parts.

5. Macaris Musical Instruments - -who produce the current Colorsound/Sola Sound products - have just upped their price on the Bass Fuzz from £129 to £179. So with the [SFX] Micro Fuzz retailing at £105 including UK postage, you're looking at a high quality, hand made, bass specific fuzz at a low cost (costs less than the Colorsound Bass Fuzz, the Fender Sub-lime or a Green Sovtek Big muff will cost you).

If there are any more differences, I'm sure Max can enlighten me.

004-5.

I have a clip which is essentially a mic'd 1x15 cab with a DI'd signal blended in. The clip essentially goes:

fuzz: Minimum - Tone: min, 12, max
    Fuzz: 12 o'clock - Tone: minimum, 12, max
    Fuzz: Max - Tone: Min, 12, Max.

I then play with my favorite setting:

Fuzz: Maxed -Tone: 3 o'clock

I'm playing my MIM Fender 70s RI bass (modded with a SD Basslines p-bass pickup at neck, and Basslines pickup at the Bridge) though my Markbass LMII set flat. This runs into my Zoot 1x15 bab, mic'd with a Shure SM57 into my Presonus Tube Pre into Pro Tools. DI signal taken out of the LMII straight to Pro Tools.

Clip

The Micro Fuzz is a fantastic, fat sounding bass fuzz that sounds quite synthy when the fuzz control is maxed. It is my go-to fuzz and has currently replaced my Colorsound (and will continue to do so on my small board).

The Micro Fuzz has not only made it onto my board as my general fuzz, but also as my synth fuzz (a position previously occupied by the MXR Bass Blowtorch and the Zvex Mastotron)

It has an inherently mid-scooped tone - this is part of the signature smooth and synthy sound of the pedal.
    Despite this mid-scoop, the top end is quite aggressive and the lowend is positively UNHOLY. You've no doubt all taken a big muff, maxed the fuzz and minimized the tone to get that subby, fat, doomy tone. Well the Micro Fuzz is more so.

To put it in context: with a russian (green or black) Big Muff, I will keep the tone control below 12 o'clock to retain my lowend, usually 9 o'clock is my most common setting on the Tone Control.
    With the Micro Fuzz, my favourite setting is with the Tone at 3 o'clock. Even with this high tone setting, I've still got hefty amounts of low end to keep my fundamental in with the band.

My colorsound has been modded to reduce the mid-scoop (I have three capacitors that I can choose from, or I can keep it stock). [SFX] can modify and build on request, so you could probably arrange something though the website, if you wished for a similar mod to the Micro Fuzz, but TBH I dont feel its essential.

This to me is my quintessential fuzz pedal, big, fat and smooth. If you like Tonebenders and Muffs, you should get on with the Micro Fuzz.

Disclaimer: I dont work for [SFX], I did not ask Max to build this pedal although I was happy for him to clone my Colorsound, but it compares more than favorably to my current favorite fuzz pedal, and as such I was happy to pay for it after trying it and I am keen to spead the love for the pedal and for [SFX], with who i've had a particularly pleasing transaction and has always been happy to answer my questions, even when they're not related to his products.

2. Silent Fly

Silent Fly Supporting Member Commercial User

May 8, 2006
    London - UK
    Owner/designer [sfx]
    Thanks for the review DosiYanarchy. Great clip!

There are a few things that might be worth mentioning. The bypass circuit is wired to minimize the noise when the pedal is in bypass. The LED is activated by a separate control circuit to minimize the switching noise.

3. this might just replace my BBM :D
    thanks for the great review!

4. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    Very nice, especially the end of the clip! I like this pedal a lot!

Any pics of the inside? I'd love to see how Max fit all of this in there!

5. Silent Fly

May 8, 2006
    London - UK
    Owner/designer [sfx]
    uFuzz2.

6. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Very professional and quality parts.

7. That's pretty smooth.:bassist:

8. ryansalmond

ryansalmond

Nov 21, 2007
    Canada
    Nicely done Max!

9. rratajski

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Whoaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

10. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Max, you continue to impress!

11. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    I want one on board my bass. That's amazing!

12. sounds pretty good. more gain available than I would likely use, but hey, that's a tonebender!

13. Silent Fly

May 8, 2006
    London - UK
    Owner/designer [sfx]
    :bag: Thanks everybody for the positive comments about my work.

I didn't know there was an interest about what's inside pedals. On the Micro-Fuzz circuit there are a few components on the other side of the board that obviously are not visible. :)

The Micro-Boost is actually more complex. :eek: Unfortunately, I don't have any photo.

14. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    That's awesome!

15. rratajski

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    We love to see what diodes are being used, how it's laid out, components (values), etc etc etc!

How long did it take you to plan out the layout?

16. Silent Fly

May 8, 2006
    London - UK
    Owner/designer [sfx]
    Unfortunately, I am never entirely happy with what I do. Every time I think I finished I notice that something can be improved... so the answer is: lot of time. :)

17. faceinbass

faceinbass

Apr 20, 2008
    KCMO
    NICE WORK!!!!!

18. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Bumping this from the depths of obscurity just to say I just got this pedal today and it's awesome. More low end than any muff based pedal I've owned (BBM, Supercollider, Musket v2) and has a nasal quality at high gain that sounds very Chris Wolstenholme, ideal for Starlight or even Time Is Running Out. Nice one Max!

19. Yeah, I hoped you'd like it Dan. I've still got my SFX modded Colorsound Tonebender, and if that was ever to break on me, I'd commision max to made me a modded Micro Fuzz. The Workmanship on all max's pedal is outstanding and I cant recommend him enough.

20. Bit of a thread revive...

So I bought this pedal recently but I'm having major volume issues with it. As soon as I turn it on the volume just drops big time. Even with the volume turned up full on the pedal it's a hugely noticeable drop. Anyone else had this problem?