sfx micro-thumpinator before or after analog octave?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Albino RyNo, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Before

7 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. After

14 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. Albino RyNo

Albino RyNo

Jan 20, 2016
    If I were to put a micro thumpinator on my pedal board should I put it before or after my MXR bass octave deluxe?

Before seems like it would help the octave track better, after would help filter out unwanted subharmonic frequencies generated by the octave. Thoughts?

2. Dominick C.

Dominick C.

Jul 2, 2012
    Austin, Tx
    I don't like mean people or mean comments....
    I run mine at the end of my board. I understand killing some of that low end before it hits your pedals, but I feel my amp benefits from it more.

Personally, I like an octave right after my bass. I usually do not like a buffer before the octave. Let's me have better control over tracking. Same thing with a comp, always after an octave for me.

Try it out and see how you feel.

3. It takes 10 minutes to test this and your ears to judge the results.
    Personally, I have put my sfx microthumpinator after my Foxrox Octron2 because that sounded best to me.

4. GMC

GMC Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2006
    Wiltshire, UK
    After your octaver...it doesn't take too much brain power to realize that the octaver has the possibility to add a lot of low sub frequencies to your signal.

5. nshuman

nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    WWWJWWW
    I have one before, one after :)

NKBassman likes this.
  6. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Mine's after.

7. Albino RyNo

Albino RyNo

Jan 20, 2016
    So after. Roger that. Thanks guys!

8. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Denver, CO
    An analog octave needs the fundamental frequencies to track well, so definitely put the HPF after the octave!

9. Albino RyNo

Albino RyNo

Jan 20, 2016
    Gotcha. I came across another thread that was talking about octave pedals where a few people said eliminating the unnecessary low frequencies with a HPF made their octaves track better and they could play faster runs because the octave wasn't having to deal with processing the sub 30hz frequencies. But the point of me buying a micro-thumpinator would really be to help my cab out and keep it from blatting, so I was really just curious if I could kill 2 birds with one stone by putting it before the octave. But I guess even if the octave is getting fed a signal with the sub 30hz frequencies cut it's still going to generate enough sub harmonic frequencies on its own that it would negate the effects of the micro-thumpinator when engaged. I really just needed some real world input from people that own the micro-thumpinator before I pull the trigger and import one. Thanks guys!

10. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Denver, CO
    You may be right about that actually. Since the fundamental of an E is at 40hz, theoretically a 30hz cutoff wouldn't be an issue for tracking (and in reality, an analog octave doesn't generally track well below an A or so anyway). I use an fDeck HPF with my cutoff frequency set much higher, so my experience is definitely different- with my HPF before my OC-2 it starts to track some of the lower notes an octave up, higher than without the HPF. Cutting the signal before any pedal can definitely affect how it responds though.