1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SG Bass: Epi EB-0 vs Epi EB-3 vs Gibson Worn SG Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KoalaBass, Jan 23, 2012.

1. KoalaBass

KoalaBass

Aug 12, 2011
    I'm thinking about pickin'up a sg bass, which one would be the best? It will not be my main bass (my american P is the one), but I want something I can bring to the stage without problems. Anybody here owns one of the three? What do you think about? Many thanks
    E.

2. BassDaddy77

BassDaddy77

Feb 12, 2010
    NE Ohio
    I would rank them:
    1) Gibson SG
    2) Epiphone EB-O
    3) Epiphone EB-3

I think a good compromise is the Gibby SG Special Faded. It'll save you $500-$600 over the SG reissue and sounds identical.

The EB-3 isn't a short scale. I just played a Gibson SG the other day and was pretty impressed. I've owned 2 Epi EB-O basses that were worlds apart in quality. The one made in Korea - very well built. The one made in China - awful.

IMO, the EB/SG line of basses offer a very unique alternative that is quite different from that "Fender sound."

3. Picture%252520002.

This is my 1974 Artia EB-3 copy. If you can find one of these, snatch it up. It has a sound all it's own.

4. stanley00

stanley00

Mar 15, 2010
    Albuquerque, NM
    I have owned a Gibson SG Standard Faded for about a month. I really like the sound of it and the short scale really fits me well. The finish is extremely thin. It gets dinged very easily and it will look and feel road worn pretty fast, but that is kind of the point. It's actually a relief not to have to worry about a Gibson getting dented and dinged. There is pretty much no way to avoid it on the faded finish, you just have to be at peace with it.

I don't normally play with a pick, but the SG does sound great picked and fingered. The mini humbucker at the bridge helps balance the overall sound better than the single neck pickup in the EB-0. I didn't really compare it to the Epiphones though, as I have found they don't really have much in common with the Gibsons other than appearance.

5. TO build on what the previous poster wrote:

I'm a finger style player, but, the EB series of basses sound GREAT with a pick.

6. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    The single pickup eb0 is pretty one dimensional. The 2 pickup eb3 is a better bass.

7. KoalaBass

KoalaBass

Aug 12, 2011
    Where are the new Epi EB0 made?

8. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Fender Mustang:bag:

FatDaddySam likes this.
  9. KoalaBass

KoalaBass

Aug 12, 2011
    Hahahaha the thing is that I already own one. Great little basses by the way, tiny but punchy! :D

10. AgIdoc

AgIdoc

Nov 17, 2008
    Huntsville, TX
    I want an EB-3 bad, but every time I start thinking about one, I come here & read everyone dogging them & I back off again lol. one problem is I have never seen one in person at a shop, so I can't hold it & play it, which is a big downside. maybe if I played one I'd either hate & it never consider it again, or love it & buy it

11. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Prob my fave SG bass of mid 70's. Those where excellent. If I had one today I might do a pup replacement and active eq preamp add to make it even better to me. Lol.

Anyway, for OP. Id get the epi ebo3 and maybe do pup upgrade. And add 2-3 band eq preamp to it. Prob sgd pups for upgrade. Cause they can do the shapes for retrofit pups that fit the routes.

12. bassobrutto

bassobrutto Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2010
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    If you can afford an SG bass, then go for it. It is a professional level bass, used by e.g., Paul McCartney's current bassist. The sound is in the same old-school ballpark as the original 60s Gibson EB-3 bass, but less extreme, more refined, probably with more usable tones. The neck is distinctly chunkier than on your Mustang bass, more like the early 60s EB-3, I would guess. But it is probably no heavier overall than the Mustang, and the general sound is probably somewhat thicker, fuller, and more variable, if that is what you want (not everyone does!).

The Epi EB-0 is a good bass for the money. Heavier than it looks, with a thicker body than the SG reissue, but with a slightly narrower neck at the nut. It does a pretty good imitation of the vintage Gibson "mudbucker" sound, but not much more. It's an entry-level bass.

13. GrooveRonin

GrooveRonin

Nov 20, 2011
    +1 :bag:

14. If money is not a concern, go for the Gibby. Hands down, the nicest of the 3. Obviously, the most expensive.

If you've got a budget, I'd suggest the EB-3. Yes, it's a standard scale, but I've played a bunch of them and it's really a sweet bass. Good sound, solid build, really nice neck. The limited edition EB-3 with the worn cherry finish is especially pretty looking.

The EB-0 isn't a bad little rocker, but you're dealing with the limitations of just one pickup. It is a shorty, though, so if that's what you want they're worth a look.

As usual, IME, IMO, YMMV, just my 2 cents, etc., etc., yadda yadda.

15. beate_r

beate_r

Jan 25, 2012
    Germany
    Disagree. The woodworking of the Epi EB-3 is way better than that of the EB-0. Especially the quality and playability of the neck. We own both Epis: a black EB-0 and a white EB-3 (1960s reissue short scale, higly recommended , a real beauty). The sound of the EB-3 is much more pronounced, it does not have the problems of the dead spots our EB-0 has, and it is much more versatile due to its

The EB-3 1960s reissue almost reaches the Gibson SG bass, it is actually closer to the real EB-3 than the Gibson (but the old Gibson EB-3 body is superior to all the newer bodies...).

The EB-0 is much heavier than the EB-3 (70s body vs. 60s body).

So my ranking:

Gibson SG, Gibson LP Junior DC
    Gibson SG faded, Gibson Thunderbird faded short scale (sound almost identical)
    Epiphone EB-3 1960s short scale
    Epiphone EB-3 long scale
    ... significant gap ...
    Epiphone EB-0

BTW: our EB-0 is enhanced by a bridge pickup (Wilkinson mini humbucker) and a no load tone poti, and its sidewinder is enhanced a bit by adding two alnico magnets and filling the space between the bobbins with steel.

the EB-3 has its pickups modified like above and uses a hipshot supertone bridge. It is a really great bass, especially if i consider the price ( 240 EUR stock + Hipshot bridge + Wilkinson Pickup + 4 Way switch...)

Both carry additional mass at the headstock in order to improve attack (replacing the tuning machines by Schaller BM which are heavier than the chinese machines will have a similar effect)

Beate