1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SG & EB Bass Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bent77, Nov 29, 2014.

Tags:
  1. This is the classic track for the EB-2/Rivoli sound.

2. My '66 neck is perfect.

Bent77 likes this.

3. Paul Samwell Smith is a great player but I always thought he had a muddy sound, different players can make identical basses sound different. That version sounds cleaned up from what I remember though.

Bent77 likes this.
  4. More Yardbirds:

Some great bass and drum interplay in this tune:

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
  5. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    Count your blessings...:bassist:...that's a rarity given the age of these basses. I remember trying 4 in one sitting a couple of years ago and two were overdue for a neck reset, one just about there and the last one was OK...

6. I must be lucky it feels great and plays true right up the neck, can't say the same for my EB-3 though it got flatter as i went up so had to get a new bridge for it.

7. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    My experience has been that strings matter an awful lot with Gibbies and Guilds, way more than it's the case with FSOs. Certain traits I have yet to understand but the fact that wood "works" and the neck joints move seems to have been proven beyond reasonable doubt to silly old me.

8. sleepingEB0

sleepingEB0

Jun 10, 2020
    There is also the ‘midtown’ model from early 2010s. It’s constructed differently but should behave and look similair. I think Gibson has one on the demo shop.

9. Thanks! It’s a ‘58 ampeg “bassamp”, pretty sure it’s a model 825. 1x15” combo that pre-dates the B-15.

ajkula66 and dmt like this.
  10. Here is Geno Washington and the Ram Jam Band. Geno was an American working on an USAF base in the UK, and had a British backing band bringing some pretty crisp (and tight) R&B. Delicious EB-0 sounds from Pete Carney. The drummer is hitting that snare so hard I suspect it said some naughty things about his mother just prior to the taping.

bobyoung53, Bent77 and LetItGrowTone like this.
  11. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Your bass sounds cool, and your description of the neck specs on the model as P-like obviously appeals.

I'm going to listen to the sound samples this weekend, thanks for taking the time to put them up.

Appreciating all the input, it's fun to hear spec talk on what to me is a fresh subject.

bobyoung53 likes this.

12. My EB-2 is solid as a rock, when I first bought it I had expected a kind of flimsy weak build it being a semi-hollow body bass but I was pleasantly surprised, it feels as solid as a P bass. I have medium gauge La Bella DTF's on it (.105 E) and the neck didn't move at all when I put them on.

thanos k likes this.
  13. 1959 Bassamp 835, great sounding amp, probably the best sounding amp I own, what year is your EB-3?

IMG_20191113_231853_resized_20200429_045843986 (1).jpg

dmt, Doc Aquatic and ajkula66 like this.
  14. Sweet!! I knew it was the right amp when vol/bass/treble are at noon and the eb-3 sounded the best it ever had out of an amp....

I think it’s a ‘64? Nickel hardware, serial number hard to read, pot dates obscured, wider control spacing...

ajkula66 and bobyoung53 like this.

15. I love that stuff. What kind of an amp is that bassist using, it looks like a Marshall, it would have been a real early one too. You can see it from about 4:00 to 4:04

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
  16. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    If there's no route under the pickguard than it's older than '65.

17. 3 hours later with a hacksaw, antique vise and some mallets...

zhE3u51.jpg

Mvf, KeithAlanK, blacktocomm and 2 others like this.
  18. GonePlaid

GonePlaid "It needs a bridge cover" Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    :thumbsup:

19. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Wow that's super distorted thru headphones. But I do hear the bass tone quite clearly, it is rather distinct. Sounds like tape wound string?

bobyoung53 likes this.
  20. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Boy, that "I ain't Talking" is one swinging tune. You're right, the bass and drum interplay is mega. And the bass runs up the neck at the two minute mark are great. Another example of how a well-organized song can keep it well under the three minute mark.

Great song, I'll be playing that one again.

StayLow and bobyoung53 like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 18, 2021