1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SG & EB Bass Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bent77, Nov 29, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Never heard Gerry thru headphones before. Well-made record, that "Don't Let The Sun Catch You Crying."
    The vocal on "I Like It" owes a clear debt to Lennon, no?
    The bass sound is, again, quite distinct. I can see how it could be quite usable. It seems very even. Very full and rounded notes, but with a muted quality that keeps them in their lane. I wonder how much of that is the mix? And how were basses recorded at this time? I would imagine DI to the board, but I've seen photos of Macca's bass cab mic'd in studio.
    In any case, useful and illustrative and educational samples, thanks guys!

bobyoung53 likes this.
  2. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    This is a cool-sounding record. It's like the band is blowing it out in the rusty shack they're singing about, what with all this metallic distortion intentionally dialed in. The song also has panned harmonies and uses some form of delay on the vocals to fatten them up. The record sound quite wide stereo-wise.

The bass sounds the roughest and wildest of all the tracks thus far. At about :34 there is a punch, and the bass is centered in a different part of the stereo field, and the volume boosts as a result. Almost sounds like someone leaned on the bass fader.

bobyoung53 likes this.
  3. I know back then they were experimenting a lot with different techniques, a lot of McCartney's bass was done his amp mic'd. I just read Geoff Emerick's book, very interesting, he talks about using a speaker as a mic on Rain and Paperback Writer. Ferry sounds direct to me, it's so clear deep and direct. When I was a youngster I would always add a lot of treble with my P bass that had Rotosounds on it through my SVT, I later realized that all that did was drive up the guitars' volumes and I was better off with flatwounds playing in my own lane as you say, I think both P basses and Gibsons are very good at that.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
    TheMaartian likes this.
  4. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Hey Bob,
    at risk of taking the thread OT for just a post or two, what is your experience if any with Les Paul style basses such as the Epi pictured?
    I only remember one bassist using the model live, but it was a young and wild band of guys, and the guitarist also had a LP, and they cut a great image.

Some context: I've been playing a lot of guitar lately, and realizing my fretting hand joints can get quite sore on Fender necks, whereas my Les Paul 12" style radius necks do not bother my fingers at all. For this reason I've been thinking what I might gain with A Gibson style fingerboard. I've really been woodshedding the guitar version.
    In any case, tone and ergonomics on these?

00808_7ieH0brJHWbz_0lM0CI_1200x900.jpg

Bent77 likes this.

5. Oh yeah, I never caught that, it almost goes to mono right after that punch for a couple of seconds, good catch.

Son of Wobble likes this.

6. I've never played one, T-Birds have very thin necks though with 1 1/2" nuts like a Jazz. I've heard a few Les Paul basses though and they sounded very good live, nice and deep.

Son of Wobble and Bent77 like this.
  7. Bent77

Bent77

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    There are some videos of Allen Woody using some of these, and a fantastic sound (to me)

And thanks for the comments on the DI everyone. I never paid much attention to the differences, and though most of the 60's stuff was mic'd. Been researching in between reading posts here. Great conversation!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
  8. Bent77

Bent77

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
  9. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Incidentally, these are my top players. The model is "Genesis" by Epiphone born in 1979 and 1980, respectively.
    I always thought they were made in Japan, but turns out they were built in Taiwan at the Pearl Drum Factory!
    Designed by one Jim Walker, who was director of Gibson marketing 77-83.

Neck specs (wider at the nut than the T-birds bob mentions as 1'5").
    • Set mahogany neck with 1960's SlimTaper profile with volute
    • Rosewood fingerboard with pearloid trapezoid inlays
    • 2-ply truss rod cover with "Genesis" engraving
    • 22 medium-jumbo frets
    • 12" fingerboard radius
    • 24.75" scale lenth
    • 1.68" nut width
    5.jpg

10. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Wow, great performance and great tune. The double Les Paul front-line does indeed look cool. And those extended runs Woody plays sound great, I love that kind of playing. That bass model obviously and definitely works in that context.

Bent77 likes this.
  11. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    I've been lusting after one of those for longer than I can remember, but they are not an easy find.

12. GonePlaid

GonePlaid "It needs a bridge cover" Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    I have this: w/ my favorite-rarely used-pick.
    0327181131-00.jpg
    Kind of a different animal being active(Bart's)and having the full length thumb rest(B string). Sounds amazing.

13. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    The model was reissued around 2013. Can't vouch for the quality of the reissue as I've only seen it online.

Not sure who the reissue was aimed at, as the only pro player to have used the guitar is Thurston from Sonic Youth, who used every cheap guitar he could find given the band's propensity for using multiple and unusual tunings.

What I like about the ones I have (aside from the excellent build quality) is the pickup. It is really wide, lots of highs and lots of low end, and so responsive to how one attacks the string. Coil tap, too. Really versatile without being generic. It can be a hard rock guitar or a jazz box. Just really musical sounding, as well. Only knock is that it is butt-heavy when played seated.

In any case, here's a used 2013 "pro" model on reverb for $450. The pro was differentiated by the gold hardware. There were three tiers to the initial release as well. So the reissues cleaved to the originals to a seemingly high degree.

zlhrvvy78mxcqzszisaq.jpg

ajkula66 likes this.
  14. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Very nice! That's likewise a five-string Allen Woody is rocking in that fantastic Gvt. Mule clip above.

Thanks for posting!

15. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    I've tried one and wasn't impressed whatsoever.

16. I saw them outside in Burlington VT around this same time, 1996-97 and Woody had a GREAT sound, I don't remember what kind of bass he was using but I do think it was a Gibson, he was playing through SVT's.

dmt and Bent77 like this.

17. I bought one of these last year and the thing sounds really good and it's got a P like neck:

Epiphone embassy

bynu4yv2ro7ttumnerxd.jpg

dmt, west al, Kev1955 and 3 others like this.
  18. rockscott

rockscott

Aug 28, 2010
    massachusetts
    I think its fair to assume that the embassy is the gibson/ epiphone pbass if you will.

19. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    More like a Bird in a different - more ergonomic - body since the pickups are the same.

Victory was Gibson's P-Bass IMO.

bobyoung53 likes this.
  20. sleddogn

sleddogn

Sep 8, 2013
    Kentucky
    I'm looking to put new knobs on my 2006 sg bass. I don't have it yet, anyone have an idea what the pot shafts are in the 2000's sg's? Didn't know if 24 spline, 18 spine, or solid. Thanks for any hints or leads. I can wait till it arrives, but am snowed in today with another 12 inches coming and am wanting to shop, lol

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021