1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SG & EB Bass Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bent77, Nov 29, 2014.

Tags:

1. Yes, mine is real dirty sounding, I mean that in a good way:laugh:. I've never tried a Victory bass but a buddy of mine had one when they were new and raved about it.

Bent77 and Son of Wobble like this.
  2. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Interesting, I saw several Youtube demos framing the bass as "gritty" and as a "more ergonomic t-bird."

Then I stumbled into this clip, where the chap is getting quite a different (and pleasing tone) out of the bass. Always have to wonder about the processing, of course...Still, sounds cool!

Can't believe how cheap these are new.... $399 shipped!

bobyoung53 and dmt like this.
  3. sleepingEB0

sleepingEB0

Jun 10, 2020
    Is pro meaning anything build quality wise?

Son of Wobble likes this.
  4. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    No.

I played one that was horrible QC-wise and one that was fine and needed nothing.

There's a batch from a couple of years ago that can't be intonated due to mis-positioned bridge. The new ones are presumably safe.

5. Stempelloos

Stempelloos

Nov 3, 2008
    Netherlands
    One of our guitarist had a black one, according to the musicshop that sold it to him,
    it was built in the Kalamazoo factory. Nice guitar, good sound, quite heavy though.

Later he got a black Genesis bass with it.

A couple of years ago, when I ran into him, he said he'd give me the Genesis guitar.
    Which he never did. Pity.

6. I... I just couldn't help myself when I saw this one on eBay, not selling for 2 years. So struck when the seller discounted it yet again, I just took the bait.

EOdrX8B.jpg

1999 Epiphone Japan EB-3. First year of production after Orville stopped. Small electronic issue at the bridge pickup, but that can be sorted out quickly. The pickup itself isn't dead.

bobyoung53, Plake, thanos k and 12 others like this.
  7. Nice! Is the neck pickup a true mudbucker? And is the rotary switch a true Varitone?

8. The rotary switch is a true varitone switch with the proper 60's wiring (neck solo, bridge solo, choked neck + bridge, chocked neck). And the pickup originally was a GOTOH sidewinder pickup...

originally... Because I bought the bass "as is", I had to open up the control cavity to sort out a shorting connection somewhere, and there I noticed a new neck pickup was installed by a previous owner... Using some very old braided wire... So I removed the cover and was greeted by a vintage sidewinder pickup. An original one.

This Epiphone version is an exact reproduction of a 1964-65 EB-3 (except for the bridge & tuners, and the tone-pot for the neck is 500k instead of 250k), so a chunky neck with a 43mm nut.

9. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    Congrats on an unexpected upgrade.

The neck on my Orville was the chunkiest neck I've ever experienced on any SG/EB bass, a real baseball bat. Sounds like they kept the same profile for the Epiphone version.

Does the choke circuit look something like this

IMG_20200919_140942.jpg

10. Yes, down to the same coil.

11. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    I'd be curious to hear how it plays with the real Sidewinder. On my Orville, both with the original Gotoh (?) pickup and the Sentell's Unmudbucker I wasn't thrilled with it one bit so I ended up disconnecting it from the circuit altogether. Hopefully you'll be pleased with the results on your "new" Epi.

12. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    30" scale?

13. Yes, 30,5”

14. The prize is in the pudding... erm pictures!

iwc4R85.jpg

15. squarepeg

squarepeg

Dec 21, 2010
    Slovenia
    NBD - this arrived this morning:
    EB3.jpg
    It appears to have been sitting in its case for a few years. I cleaned off the grime and everything works, although someone has rewired the selector switch (incorrectly) - there is no position where both pickups are on.

westrock, dmt, Ukko and 8 others like this.
  16. squarepeg

squarepeg

Dec 21, 2010
    Slovenia
  17. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    That, good sir, is a beauty. Congrats.

Play it in good health and enjoy!

18. squarepeg

squarepeg

Dec 21, 2010
    Slovenia
    Thanks! I had one just like it a few years ago:
    115859716_10158210924201955_6871934311903865386_n.jpg

thanos k, dmt, bobyoung53 and 2 others like this.
  19. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    I want the Tele that your guitar player was sporting...:)

Sheer curiosity on my end, what is the amp behind you if you remember ?

squarepeg likes this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021