1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SG & EB Bass Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bent77, Nov 29, 2014.

Tags:
  1. sleddogn

sleddogn

Sep 8, 2013
    Kentucky
    You could sell those bell bottoms in new york for more than that gibby, LOL:roflmao:

squarepeg likes this.
  2. squarepeg

squarepeg

Dec 21, 2010
    Slovenia
    I was using the two amps behind me. The one on the right is a Fender Solid State Bassman with 3 12" speakers. It wasn't a very good sounding amp. The one on the left is a Traynor Bassmaster Mark II with an 18" Goodman speaker. It was better, but soon after that I sold them both and got a Traynor Custom Special with 8 10" speakers, a much better amp.

Bent77 and ajkula66 like this.
  3. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    Thanks for a prompt and detailed response...:thumbsup:

It looked vaguely familiar but I just couldn't place it. Don't believe I've ever tried one of those.

Where were you getting all those Traynors from back then ? I can't recall seeing more than a couple over my entire career...and I don't think that I'm *that* much younger than you.

4. squarepeg

squarepeg

Dec 21, 2010
    Slovenia
    I lived in Toronto. All the shops were full of them, especially the big chain, Long & McQuade. I believe L&M were associated with Yorkville Sound, the company that made Traynors. I think Pete Traynor actually worked for L&M.

Everybody in Toronto played them (well, Fenders and Voxes too), so you could buy them used really cheap.

bobyoung53 and ajkula66 like this.
  5. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    Well, that settles it. I wrongly presumed you were in Slovenia back then, hence my confusion...:confused:

bobyoung53 likes this.
  6. squarepeg

squarepeg

Dec 21, 2010
    Slovenia
    No, I came here in 1996. Just in time for the bombers to fly over our house at 7:00 every morning on the way to bomb Serbia. :eek:

ajkula66 likes this.
  7. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    Between the two of us, you got the better part of that deal, trust me...:D

8. squarepeg

squarepeg

Dec 21, 2010
    Slovenia
    I know. Over the years I've known people who weren't so lucky.

thanos k likes this.
  9. squarepeg

squarepeg

Dec 21, 2010
    Slovenia
    Update - the selector switch is broken and the bridge is worn out. It also needs a nut and some fretwork. I took the EB3 to practice tonight anyway, and told the guys I planned to just replace the switch and bridge with new parts, but they persuaded me to take it to a tech they know who is an expert in restoring old instruments to factory specs.

10. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    Sounds like someone did not like the stock selector setup....how does the 'neck PU only' sound?

11. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    I would consider filling the nut slots with super glue/baking soda mix and re-filing if the nut is cut too low...btw, did you measure the impedance on each PU position?

As far as the bridge, im not familiar with that bridge but curious what the issue is with yours being "worn out"? Ive looked at these era of EBs before and trying to learn more!

I have a 65 Epiphone Newport with neck only 'mudbucker' which i am able to EQ effectively for a variety of sounds but curious about your version of EB.

squarepeg likes this.
  12. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    These (Tilt-O-Matic) bridges have a tendency to bend from years/decades of being pulled by high tension of the strings. While I'm generally in the "vintage correct" camp most of the time, I'll make sure that there's a Hipshot bridge on every Gibson/Epiphone bass that can take one if I'm its owner...

squarepeg and DavidEdenAria like this.
  13. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    So the actual bridge bends, not the posts? Is there a Hipshot bridge that fits these basses?

14. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    Correct. In extreme cases the posts might start pulling out, but that's very rare in my experience.

Yes. Supertone two point, fits like a glove, no modifications required. The best thing that ever happened to Gibson/Epiphone basses.

SuperTone Gibson® Bass Replacement Bridge

squarepeg and DavidEdenAria like this.
  15. sleddogn

sleddogn

Sep 8, 2013
    Kentucky
    I just ordered a supertone 3 point for my sg, can't wait.

squarepeg and ajkula66 like this.
  16. GonePlaid

GonePlaid "It needs a bridge cover" Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    I bought a gently used '09 Epi EB-0 and immediately ordered then installed a Supertone for it. Love it. Increased sustain and far better adjustability. Looks kinda like this:
    0224212058-00.jpg
    OK, exactly like this.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021 at 7:48 AM
  17. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    Sounds to me like another solution looking for a problem....:D

ctmullins and Mvf like this.
  18. squarepeg

squarepeg

Dec 21, 2010
    Slovenia
    I've ordered a Supertone 2-point bridge. I put one (a three-point model) on my late-model Epi EB0, and it works well.

The problem with the stock bridge on the EB3 is that the holes in the bridge where the posts go through are worn, so the bridge tilts too far forward.

I took it to practice last night, and told my bandmates about my plans to renovate it; hey said they know a guy nearby who is an expert in restoring old instruments, so I'm going to have him restore it to factory specs. I'll put the Supertone on for playing, but will keep all the original parts.

It sounds pretty good, running as an EB0 (neck only). The mud bucker is very loud and smooth-sounding. It has about twice the output of the Bartolini P in the neck of the other bass I use (Lado Legend).

DavidEdenAria likes this.
  19. squarepeg

squarepeg

Dec 21, 2010
    Slovenia
    An Epiphone Newport was my first bass, before I got my (first) EB3.

DavidEdenAria likes this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021