1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

SG & EB Bass Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bent77, Nov 29, 2014.

Tags:
  1. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    That sounds like a good plan with the updated bridge....You might play around with the polepiece height on the mudbucker, i lowered mine some, the screws dont need to be flush with the pickup cover but it is especially nice having individual adjustment polepiece screws.

2. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    The guy i got the Newport from had it since the late 80's but he couldnt get along with the neck/scale and almost unplayed....he has 60's T birds and a nice 60's Embassy...mine is the 2nd version with the batwing headstock, its under 8 lbs and a real beast thru my GK 800RB and 8x10 lol!

This guy also has a 64 EB3 that he is restoring gradually, headstock repair, but it is heavy like 9 lbs plus.....i cant deal with 9 lb basses at 61 years old! I would love to have it though!!

3. The strings on mine must make it sound harsh, this one sounds great, like a cross between a P bass and a Jazz. I never changed them, I'll have to try it.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    DavidEdenAria and Son of Wobble like this.
  4. squarepeg

squarepeg

Dec 21, 2010
    Slovenia
    Whoever played the EB3 last, and I think it must have been quite a while ago, was evidently using it as an EB0. As I mentioned, the selector switch isn't working: instead of 4 positions, it goes 360° and in only 1 position does the bridge pickup work; in no position does the bridge and neck combination work. The neck pickup was screwed all the way up, and the bridge position was screwed all the way down.

DavidEdenAria likes this.
  5. squarepeg

squarepeg

Dec 21, 2010
    Slovenia
    The Newport I had had the batwing headstock, and the neck and body were painted bright orange. I've never seen another one like it.

DavidEdenAria and ajkula66 like this.
  6. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    Is the choke still in place or it got lost over the years ? Other stuff is easy to replace/replicate...

Wiring scheme:

Gibson EB3 circuit schematics (series 1) >> FlyGuitars

7. squarepeg

squarepeg

Dec 21, 2010
    Slovenia
    Yes, it's still there. I opened up the control cavity and had a look. Someone's been in there with a soldering iron at some point, though.

8. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    A refin? Do you know the year it was built?

squarepeg likes this.
  9. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    Do you know what parts are hard to source? I wonder what a common mod, if any, were done to EB3s.

10. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    Common mods:

1) Adding a diode - Jack Bruce style - I've never done this, @bobyoung53 would know more about it I believe

2) Removing the choke

3) Removing the second (0.1) cap from the circuit in order to get more highs. Both of my EBs went through this.

Nowadays people are asking a ridiculous amount of money for the original choke, pots and cap...I'm not sure that I'd say that any of those are hard to source apart from the choke itself, IMO/IME.

bobyoung53 and DavidEdenAria like this.
  11. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    Thanks for the info! Do you happen to know what adding the diode and removing the choke do?

12. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    Adding the diode is essentially throwing a mini-fuzz into the circuit, so the amp overdrives at lower volume. That's why Bruce had it done, at least to my understanding.

A lot of folks - myself included - never found the use for that "choked" sound on EB-3 which cuts off the lower frequencies so they got rid of the gadget altogether.

west al and bobyoung53 like this.

13. I bought a harness that has a diode in it with a switch to bring it in and out of the circuit but could never get it working right so I just pulled the much smaller choke out of that circuit and installed it in my 65 EB-3 instead of the big choke that's still in it. I unhooked the choke where it ran to the varitone switch. The little choke still filters a little bit of bottom out of the neck pickup but not anywhere near as much as the stock choke which I also think is useless. The reason I like is that it makes pos 3, both pickups, useable for me.

Mvf likes this.
  14. west al

west al Ready, PLAY! Supporting Member

You maybe never played, or needed to play as loud as Jack did. :bassist:

15. Supposedly he only used the bridge pickup or most of the time anyway, I think most of his sound was in the Marshall heads he used, cranked.

16. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    Well, even Mr. Bruce himself toned down *a lot* and changed his sound fundamentally by the time I saw him perform back in '88...:D

Not to mention that activating the "choke" doesn't bring the volume up, but down.

I get the whole '60s "sound fight" thing, but I haven't lived through it as a musician. Hasn't stopped me from getting my hearing damaged nevertheless...:rollno:

17. I love JB always have and always will but I think his classic tone with the EB-3 and the Marshalls is way better than his later stuff with other instruments and amps.

dmt, DavidEdenAria, thanos k and 2 others like this.
  18. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    It certainly had its place in Cream, no questions asked.

I'd say that as a complete musical influence - not simply a bass player - Mr. Bruce was (along with Beatles and Syd Barrett) the most important cornerstone in my musical upbringing. I absolutely treasure his solo work, as uneven as it is.

With that being said, I was never all that crazy about his sound. The same holds true for two of my other big early influences, Tim Bogert and Andy Fraser.

Guitalia and Mvf like this.
  19. LetItGrowTone

LetItGrowTone

Apr 2, 2019
    @ajkula66, whose EB tone was/is your favorite then?

20. That sound doesn't work for me in what I do but I love that sound, also Felix Pappalardi. I do too love his solo stuff.

This to me was his pinnacle at least in his rock sound and playing.

dmt, Mvf, Bent77 and 3 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 14, 2021