1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

SG & EB Bass Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bent77, Nov 29, 2014.

Tags:
  1. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    God bless and good luck, I can't play flats for more than 10 minutes in any set of circumstances. Listening to other people play them or even setting up a bass with flats for them is not a problem whatsoever.

ctmullins likes this.
  2. GonePlaid

GonePlaid "It needs a bridge cover" Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    1. Yes
    2. I don't remember(I had 2[heads and cabs]. Stupidly sold them in ~84. :banghead:)
    Like this(not mine) I occasionally hooked up both cabs offa 1 head. Sa-weet!
    upload_2021-2-26_0-16-12.jpeg
    "confusion will be my epitaph"-King Crimson

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  3. GonePlaid

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    Yeah, I used to play rounds, but flats are easier on my fingers-and frets.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  4. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    My main bass is strung with La Bella White Nylon Tapes for those reasons...mostly for the frets, really. The '63 - which has been refretted at some point - wears DR Hi Beam rounds.

DavidEdenAria and ctmullins like this.
  5. squarepeg

squarepeg

Dec 21, 2010
    Slovenia
    No, I traded it in on my first EB3, back in 1970. I don't think it was a refin, though.

DavidEdenAria likes this.
  6. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    Funny story, my bud has an SVT and i got my 65 Epiphone Newport from him.

When we plugged the Newport into the SVT he plugged into the normal channel, im like "why arent you plugged into the bright channel"?!! Once we plugged into the bright channel it totally changed the sound of the Newport, even without messing with his EQ settings!

Then for fun we plugged into his vintage Kustom 2x15 bass amp and it was 'total dirt', boarding on fuzz tone.

I use a GK 800RB and an Eden Metro into an 8x10, both at 450 watts and a 7 band EQ on my board, the result is drastically different when you adjust the EQ on the amp and outboard EQ, much cleaner with plenty of top end....even with flat EQ it sounds much cleaner than the SVT....sometime i will post a clip but i am using GHS Pressurewounds at the moment so that does add a bit of top end and less thump.

If i want 'thump' i add a piece of foam (i removed the wonky mute system on the Newport).

dmt and LetItGrowTone like this.
  7. I honestly tried it, roundwounds... but it's not for me at all. Too dzingy, rich and piano-like. I have a rather busy playing style, so it ends of in a clutter of garbled sounds & sonic mess. Flatwounds give me a better "bordered" window that compliments my playing better. More articulate & precise.

bobyoung53 likes this.
  8. GonePlaid

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    And less 'squeak' and wear on frets and fingers.:thumbsup:

9. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I disclose nothing
    Yes ... at first a bass with flats has a seductive sound ... but after a few minutes I grow tired of it.

10. GonePlaid

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    Tweetchie zone.

Bent77 likes this.
  11. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    GHS Pressurewounds on my 65 Epiphone Newport....smooth like flats but a bit more top end....still thumps...roll the tone down...more tonal variety than flats (i like flats too).

squarepeg and TheMaartian like this.
  12. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    The sound of flats doesn't bother me, but the feel does...tremendously so.

It's a beautiful thing that we have so many choices available...something for everyone...:thumbsup:

LetItGrowTone likes this.
  13. AmpegB15

AmpegB15

Sep 25, 2010
    Just put some D'Addario ETB92S (short scale) tapewounds on my SG bass. I was surprised that the silk winding sits over the nut but ends there, so these short scales are slightly too short. Perhaps medium scale is more appropriate for this brand on the SG bass. Nevertheless, the tapewounds sound great. The sound is darker and has more bass than the round wounds that were on it. But I wouldn't describe the difference as night and day like a change to flats would be -- these tapes are really just a darker less zingy round wound, but they have the smooth feel of flats.

14. It depends on the bridge and the brand of strings. SG/EB basses are 30.5", whereas Fender shortscales (Bronco/Musicmaster) are 30". That extra half inch does a lot in terms of clearance for the silk, and if you've got manufacturers who make 30" scale strings, and let the silk start at 30.5, you can get into "trouble" with the 30.5" scale length. Add to that that some bridges require more length of string (Mustang with their through-body for instance,...).

15. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Many (all?) tapewound strings are roundwounds underneath the tape. Some are nickel, some are stainless.

I’ll take tapes over flats any day.

DavidEdenAria and ajkula66 like this.
  16. GonePlaid

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    Ah. You missed my post about that. I have an Ibanez short scale with that same situation. Luckily, I was able to return the short scale strings and get mediums. Unfortunately, you hafta measure from the where the ball end will go to the nut rather than just bridge to nut. Meanwhile, on my EB-0, I'm using a long scale set of EBCF's that I trimmed after replacing them with a different gauge set of EBCF's on my 34 1/2" scale TBird.

DavidEdenAria and LetItGrowTone like this.
  17. sleddogn

sleddogn

Sep 8, 2013
    yeah, more short scale basses use medium length than one might think. As mentioned, string thru, and 2 piece bridges usually require these

18. I haven't used tapewounds, but with LaBella flats, I found that after I replaced the original Gibson three-point bridge with a Hipshot SuperTone, I had to switch to medium-scale strings. Short-scale strings were fine with the Gibson bridge, but the Hipshot pulls the ball end back a bit to avoid the problem of the silks sitting on the saddles, and that means the distance from the ball end to the nut increases by maybe half an inch (I haven't actually measured the difference), meaning short-scale LaBellas don't fit.

I now have short-scale T-I JF's on my SG bass, which is quite a different situation since T-I's idea of "short scale" is longer than most companies. Even with the SuperTone bridge, the strings are almost too long.

19. west al

west al Ready, PLAY! Supporting Member

The 2015 SG Std. I think had the Babicz high Mass bridge on them. They set the strings lower, and the ETB92M Nylons fit better than the ETB92S Nylons did.

20. AmpegB15

AmpegB15

Sep 25, 2010
    Yes, mine is the version with the Babicz bridge.

west al likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 10, 2021