SG & EB Bass Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bent77, Nov 29, 2014.

Tags:
  1. I have about an hour and a half playing time on these new, D'addario strings, and the difference is very welcome.

I have a feeling that the strings that were on it were the originals from the factory.
    The thing that threw me, was that they didn't look or feel dead, they just didn't have any responsivness to them.
    And me, playing for 50 years not spotting this sooner.
    Shame on me! :(

Ok, I've recovered. :D

As with all new strings, they're bright, responsive and they feel great.
    The neck pickup sounds deeper and smoother, the bridge pickup is mad burpy, and the tone control has a much wider sweep.

And, this bass sounds slightly percussive; something I didn't expect from a Gibson.

As I stated previously, these are not the strings I wanted, but I'm happy with them.
    The first in my "SG bass string frame of reference."

So far, so good.

Good cracker.
    Good cracker.

Mike :thumbsup:

2. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    @bobyoung53 Check this out, found it elsewhere on TB, it's from 2019, filmed in France, and my new favorite contemporary psychedelic band

3. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    @NoiseNinja some wag in the YouTube comments asks, "Why isn't the drummer playing an SG?" :laugh:
    Thanks for introducing me to this outfit. Got any factoids on them to share?

dmt and bobyoung53 like this.
  4. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Nope I haven't looked further into them yet, since I only discovered them yesterday, but certainly will.

If this mini concert is anything to go by they are absolutely killer.

There's also the joke about tape echo in the YouTube comments to this video, and sure got to admit that that got to be one of their main traits, judging from that video at least.

Like I haven't heard that much and masterful use of tape delay, I think, well, since Syd Barrett on the first Pink Floyd album (even if I suspect SLIFT probably making use of digital emulations).

Last edited: May 9, 2021
    Son of Wobble likes this.
  5. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    They're from Toulouse and they're on bandcamp. Guess we can just write em and request a bio, LOL. Ain't inter webs grand?

SLIFT

NoiseNinja likes this.
  6. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Hey this track of yours is really great, too. It reminds me of Ennio Marricone's soundtrack to State of Grace, that same tension between romanticism and atonality. Gorgeous!

bobyoung53 likes this.
  7. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Hey, that’s pretty interesting stuff there. My random first impressions:
    • Holy pork chops
    • Lyrics are irrelevant…??
    • I find it visually jarring to see guys rocking out with their axes right under their chins
    Those are obviously not Gibson instruments. The bass has a Hipshot D bridge, strung thru-body, which is pretty great. I wonder what pickups are in it - Dagstars perhaps?

MattZilla and Son of Wobble like this.
  8. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    One of the Youtube wags writes, "I knew this band was gonna rock when they hitched their straps up near their chins." :laugh:

I also wondered about those pickups. The tuners looked like Mini-Grovers, maybe? Some souped-up European SG knockoff.

I like that the bassist and guitarist are playing matching body shapes and colors. I've seen bands where both bassist and guitarist used Les Pauls, and it likewise popped visually.

Did lyrics ever matter? "papa-ooh-mow mow"... "My baby does the hanky panky" et al
    OK, I'll grant you "Visons of Johanna" is a pretty fair lyric :woot:

dmt likes this.
  9. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    One of the YouTube replies is allegedly from the luthier who did the gutarist and bass players instruments, if you look through them, his YouTube name at least fits the initials on the headstocks, so might be legit.

Thank you. :)

In all modesty one of the tracks I am most proud of having composed.

And actually based on a Danish poem I wrote by the same title, where an excerpt is used translated to English at the very end of that track, sort of quite blurred and utilizing a text to speech synth program, the whole translation included in the video description on YouTube.

If you want something more psychedelic try listening to the track "Spacefuzz 2016" by Electro Jar, also on YouTube, an electronic duo I was part of, that did sort of downtempo psychedelic electronic music, where I co-programmed the tracks, and was responsible for the lyrics, vocals and physical instruments as well (speaking of nonsense lyrics) :

bobyoung53 and Son of Wobble like this.
  10. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    I literally cannot fathom how one can rock out with the instrument providing a nipple massage.

Son of Wobble likes this.
  11. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    And I, Sir, cannot think of a better way to rock. YMMV (your massage may vary)

bassobrutto, LP Custom and ctmullins like this.
  12. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Nice recording! Busy arrangement, yet retains such clarity. Killer use of the stereo field.

NoiseNinja likes this.
  13. GonePlaid

GonePlaid "It needs a bridge cover" Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    From my first playing(1967, 65ish EB-3), I always slung low. So, yeah, up high looks straaaange.

14. It is always easier for me anyway to play with the instrument higher rather than it hanging low in the rockstar pose. I like mine halfway between the rock star pose and the right under the chin pose.

dmt and ajkula66 like this.
  15. GonePlaid

GonePlaid "It needs a bridge cover" Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    Mine is about where if I kept my right hand still and you took away the bass I'd be playing with my...

watch pocket.

ctmullins, bobyoung53 and ajkula66 like this.

16. Mine would be my belly button.

dmt and LP Custom like this.
  17. At first I thought it was a Gibson SB-450 or one of those models.

1973-SB450-1200.jpg

18. Very interesting music.

NoiseNinja likes this.
  19. sleepingEB0

sleepingEB0

Jun 10, 2020
    $1000 for a ‘65 EB3 Good deal?

20. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    A heck of a good deal if it's not hot...that's 1/3 the going rate

bobyoung53 likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021