SG & EB Bass Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bent77, Nov 29, 2014.

Tags:
  1. edwinhurwitz

edwinhurwitz Supporting Member

May 13, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, SMS
    If it's in decent condition, absolutely. I paid $800 for my '68 and it was all beat up.

Bent77 likes this.
  2. sleepingEB0

sleepingEB0

Jun 10, 2020
    It’s beat up but I’d refurb it via Gibson I imagine. I’d also... refinish it to original. Hehehe. I hate relic look and at this price it feels like I won’t lose any value and I’d probably gain value tbh becuase I wager a Gibson done and certified Like new finish on a ‘65 would be quite attractive

3. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    Quite expensive as well I'd guess...

4. sleepingEB0

sleepingEB0

Jun 10, 2020
    $1925 with nitro $2950 if someone put poly of some kind

5. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    Your $$$$ your call but I'd pass...in a *very* wide circle....

bobyoung53 likes this.
  6. I'm warming up to this bass more and more.
    The tone and looks are great, I just had a little trouble adjusting to the shorter scale.
    I went looking for replacement pickups for a Gibson EB-0/EB-3 and found an old discussion at a Gibson forum.
    One member kept complaining about how his SG bass was not like his Jazz bass in this way and that.
    A wise, old owl there simply reminded everyone that a short scale, humbucker equiped bass made out of mahogany will never sound like a Fender in any way.

That one statement put everything in perspective.

The bass looks and sounds great, it just took me a little while to adjust to the shorter scale.

Do you want to know how I did it?

I practice almost everyday with one bass, for about an hour.
    I simply split the hour between the SG and another bass.

I should have thought of this sooner.

Mike ;)

IMG_20210418_172744.jpg

dmt, cemunk, Nebula24 and 7 others like this.
  7. Bent77

Bent77

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    The fact it sounds nothing like a Fender is exactly what I love about these basses.

There’s a lot of basses that can do the fender sound. There are very few that can cope the “irritated humbuckers on short scale” sound

8. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    SoCal
    Short of getting a new pickup, is there anything that can be done to get “more” out of the SG neck pickup? I’ve played around with removing the cover and getting the pickup a little closer to the strings and it sounds much better to me, but the design of the cover doesn’t allow for adjusting the height. Does anyone make a taller cover? I keep thinking of fabricating some sort of riser to lift it up a couple of mm to get the pickup closer to the strings...

Alternatively, any thoughts or feedback on the Artec/Guyker/Gotoh/Bangdan/etc. off-brand replacements (that are all probably the same pickup) that are found for around $30 at various online sources? Ive read mixed-to-good reviews about the tone, but will they fit the Gibson SG without having to rout or cut away any?

I’m just not at the point where I’m willing to shell out $200-$300 for a boutique or vintage pickup, and the Model One doesn’t excite me, and I’m lukewarm on the Sentell (maybe of it were chrome....).

9. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Oh man.

Yes, the Sentell looks different. But that tone….. :hyper::bassist:

TDR1138 likes this.
  10. west al

west al Ready, PLAY! Supporting Member

I know myself, if I wanted a Fender Jazz sound, I wouldn't be playing the Epi EB-0 I do play. My EB-0 pounds better than the Gibson 1970 EB-0 I had from back then.

Bent77 likes this.
  11. Bent77

Bent77

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    I was pleasantly surprised how forward the newer Epi EB0 is

west al and TheMaartian like this.
  12. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    You may want to reach to the man himself and see if he could finagle getting the pickup under your existing cover.

As for the other options, Gotoh is not the same as Artec, I had the former in my Orville and the tone was very meh and unexciting.

Good luck.

TDR1138 likes this.
  13. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    SoCal
    Actually, I did do just that. Apparently he can, if I send him the cover to make sure everything aligns right. So that may be the leading option at this point. Ultimately, I just want a little more oomph out of the neck pickup. Not necessarily chasing a specific tone (though I don’t want a bad or “meh” tone). I just want more punch to keep up with my P basses or (even better) G&Ls. It’s pretty soft as is.

@ctmullins how’s the output on the Sentell? I’ve listened to the tone demos, but it’s hard to gauge how loud the pickup actually is.

14. west al

west al Ready, PLAY! Supporting Member

My Epi EB-0 keeps me up more playing it's heavy, but clear tones. No problems here with any classic rock tunes, or to shake the windows in the house. It really is a fine bass to play. Jack, or Felix would've loved this one. Well at least I do anyway.

qCooKWU.jpg

Last edited: May 13, 2021
    Nebula24 and Bent77 like this.
  15. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    I'll let @ctmullins answer for himself, but I'd describe it as "loud enough". It's definitely not raging hot, but not a dainty flower either.

TDR1138 likes this.
  16. GetYourWings

GetYourWings

Apr 26, 2021
    I'm thinking about getting a '65 eb-0 and the lowest I see are around $1500.
    BTW do you guys think these basses are worth that? What about an epiphone eb-0 with an artec pickup? Is that anywhere close or is that a ridiculous question?

17. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    Any particular reason why you want a '65 ? There's a reason for this question.

The answer to your question will depend on who answers it. Personally, I still think that old Gibson basses are inexpensive, even after all the lockdown price hikes. But that's me.

As for Epi...it's really not a fair comparison. There's a lot to love there, especially considering the difference in price.

It all depends on what matters *to you*.

bobyoung53 likes this.
  18. Bent77

Bent77

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    I haven’t been able to install the Artec pickup that I got from @ajkula66 yet into my EB0

19. From the prices I've been seeing on Reverb lately that is low actually for a '65. I still believe EB-0's are a bargain in this market and I predict the prices are going to gradually go up like they did with EB-3's.

GetYourWings likes this.
  20. GetYourWings

GetYourWings

Apr 26, 2021
    No reason at all for wanting a '65. I think that's just a year I saw available. Please educate me. To be clear, you are saying these basses are still a bargain in your opinion?
    I know the epi comparison is not 100% fair but... idk some people say the epis are the worst bass ever. I've sometimes gotten good results from putting good electronics in cheap guitars. Sometimes it doesn't work out. Where does the epi fall on that scale? The only people on my local CL are delusionally asking above new price and won't come down.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021