1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SG or Jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mtbdude91, Jun 4, 2007.

1. mtbdude91

mtbdude91

Jun 4, 2007
    Hey, I've been playing bass for a while, and am looking to get something newer and better. I want something like a Fender Jazz, but tons of other people play them, so I'd like to go with something more unique. So, im looking at the Epiphone SG, and i like that. Any opinions on either of these basses, suggestions, anything at all? Thanx.

2. before you go out to buy basses based on looks, obviously u have to asses a few questions, first, what genre of music do you play, second; what kind of tone do you like, and then you can go about looking for a bass, for me, i play everything from funk, to solo bass, to punk and even some death metal, so for me a fender jazz suits me better than say an epiphone sg. but other than that i cant really say what type of bass is good for you without some basic info first

3. haha u said asses

4. +1. Keep in mind, there's a reason so many people use the tried and true Jazz Bass. It's not purely cosmetics.

5. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    Most SGs are short-scale (less definition) and have a poor balance (neck dive).

So, I say jazz by far.

6. ArmyPunkGuy

ArmyPunkGuy

Dec 25, 2006
    jazz bro but try a P-bass too

7. dont just limit yourself to fenders and epiphones, remember there are many other basses that you may like more

8. mtbdude91

mtbdude91

Jun 4, 2007
    ok, thanks for the help. I really like the classic look and sound of a Jazz, and had another question. I've heard some people say that you can't really play rock on a fretless, and was wondering where they were coming from.

9. You can't?! :eek: Could you ask those people what I have been doing for the last couple of years? I thought you could.

You can do whatever you want with whatever you grab.

10. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    As mentioned earlier in the thread, they're talking from their "asses".

11. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    try both and pick the one you like better. You can play ANY type of music on ANY instrument

12. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Oh yeah, the original question.
    By Epi SG, are you talking about the less-than-$200 Epi EB-O?
    I have one, and several Jazzes. We all know what a Jazz sounds like so I'll concentrate on the Epi. It's a one trick pony. It has a good fundamental but has no treble at all. None. It's a fun bass to play as it's tiny. I play in a 60s group and use it occassionally, usually for encores.
    If, by chance you're talking about the Epi EB-3, I had one of those too, serious neck-dive. doesn't matter what it sounds like the neck-dive is extreme. Putting a long-scale neck on a short-scale's body is a huge mistake.

13. My sons friend has an Epiphone SG. It has a VERY limited range. I would buy a Jazz first. I'd be bored to death with only the SG.

14. IrisHElitE

IrisHElitE

Jan 3, 2007
    Rochester NY
    my drummer has an Epi SG and for a complete beginner that's just messin around, it's great, however i own a Fender Jazz and it (in my opinion) blows it completely out of the water. i would say go for the jazz, but of course it is all a matter of personal preference keep rockin bro

15. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    ....runs accordian through fuzz pedal, plays Death Metal

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 17, 2021