1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SG Universe

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by powderfinger, Jun 8, 2011.

1. powderfinger

powderfinger

Feb 24, 2009
    So, I am a fan of the original Stargage. I noticed on Netflix Instant Watch they now have both season1 and 2 of SG Universe (2009, 2010). I didnt get a chance to check this series out while it was on. I know it was cancelled, but from what I can gather, it had nothing to do with the show being bad or uninteresting. Anyone checked this out? I Watched the first episode, and I am at least fairly curious.

2. dbhokie

dbhokie

Nov 1, 2010
    I watched them all, I am a huge sci fi nerd. My opinions don't count.

It wasn't great, but very entertaining :)

3. powderfinger

powderfinger

Feb 24, 2009
    Hmmm, so not as good as SG1 huh? Can you give me an overview of where the show goes? I dont wanna read spoilers, and I cant get much of a general answer online (without too many spoilers).

Also, would you recommend Babylon 5? Those are on Instant Watch as well, and Babylon is the 1 big Sci FI series I never really watched. Ive heard you either hate it or LOVE it, so not sure. IVe heard its similar to Trek DS9????

4. Never thought I'd see an SGU thread on TB hahaha

I agree with dbhokie for the most part. As a long-time Stargate fan, it was interesting enough to keep me going.

I think a large part of the problem was the first season deals largely in character development and show was really trying to find their way, so to speak. By Season 2, they stated getting better storylines and it started really moving. Season 1 also had some odd characteristics that the other SG series' didn't. A lot more sexual content, got in a trend of playing a song towards the end of the show, was overall very dark (visually), and gritter.. reminiscent of BSG.

I recommend you just watch it. It's hard to tell you where the show goes because it doesn't necessarily "go anywhere". They start to reveal a central story for the whole show, but it doesn't develop too much, and only in the second season. There also wasn't a main enemy throughout the series. The Lucian Alliance comes up for a while, but it doesn't remain a long threat. Everyone wanted to see aliens, and they were sparsely placed throughout the series.

Overall, just watch it! Great acting in it, especially by Robert Carlyle.

5. powderfinger

powderfinger

Feb 24, 2009
    Cool, Ill give the show a shot... wont hurts, its free on instant watch. And yes I noticed the focus on sex as well.. Iwithin the first half of ep. 1, one of the military guys had a girl pinned to the wall, getting it on, shortly after they boarded the Ancients ship.

6. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    i enjoyed the series, but hated the ending. happens when most good things come to an end i suppose.

7. dbhokie

dbhokie

Nov 1, 2010
    Agree 100%..Its hard to tell you a lot about it without spoiling various episodes, but you won't feel like you wasted your time.

Babylon 5 has better writing, though perhaps for nostalgia's sake I prefer Stargate. I really enjoyed SG1 and Atlantis.

8. Absentia

Absentia

Feb 25, 2009
    Kinda... really slow paced.
    Almost way too much human drama BS
    My favorite was Atlantis only because Mckaye was awesome.

9. I didn't mind the ending considering they didn't know the series was cancelled when they wrote it.

From interviews they've said that they write the second season ending to serve as both a season ending and a series ending, just in case the show was actually cancelled. It felt kind of fitting to me, and brought me closure (though I was still pissed that the show was cancelled).

With SGU gone, that is pretty much the end of the Stargate Franchise for a long time. All the movies have been shelved for now, and there's nothing pending.

10. powderfinger

powderfinger

Feb 24, 2009
    That's a shame. I feel like another Stargate series would have done well on Sci Fi. I'd even like to see another Trek series eventually (although that will likely not happen anytime soon, especially with the movie reboot).

Sci Fi ... I mean SyFy channel is now a joke, IMO... I miss the good Sci Fi series that challenged your mind and made you think... SyFy channel now is nothing but ridiculous original movies, horrible reality shows, and PRO WRESTLING on Friday nights.... sigh....

11. powderfinger

powderfinger

Feb 24, 2009
    Well, I might be inclined to agree with you there. However, Ive seen recent threads on everything from drug testing welfare recipients, to someones boss wanting to add them on Facebook, to prejudiced neighbors, to weightlifting. Somehow I think SGU fits in every well here :)

12. TOOL460002

TOOL460002 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Santa Cruz CA
    i personally loved it.

however, they DID know the show was being cancelled. the ending is completely open. they were planning on making a movie to wrap it all up, but from what ive read scheduling conflicts have killed it. i really, really hope things come back together.

its a franchise with 3 films and three series combining for what? fifteen seasons or so? and they end it with, well, not a complete cliff hanger, but it was definitely written to end and transition to a full length film to put the lid on all things stargate.

ive seen every episode a few times. it makes sg1 and atlantis look like cheesy, childish garbage. i cant watch those anymore. sg u is just too good. they finally get it right and time slot changes wreak havoc on ratings.

needless to say, im a little bitter... and have no intention to start up any new syfy shows (will still probably see sanctuary and warehouse 13 through to the end, but thats it). at least it wasnt as bad as the sopranos ending!

13. It's 17 seasons of Stargate in total! (10-5-2). Quite the number.

The writers apparently had 5 seasons in mind for SGU to finish up the story, though they've claimed that they could have done it in one more season. That option was out of the bag shortly after the cancellation and the actors got new jobs.

Maybe one day we can look forward to a movie combining some of the series', but for now, I'll keep watching Sanctuary and hope that SGU gave some of those young actors a good start.

David Blue (Eli) was great, and I thought Volker (who is now on The Killing) was good as well.

What stood out the most to me was the twitter response from Stargate fans. In the week before and after the series finale, the amount of twitter posts was remarkable. There were salutes to the cast of SGU and praises for the show, along with some criticisms.

Ultimately SyFy took a lot of heat because of the fan response, as well as some content on GateWorld | Your Complete Guide to Stargate! (not sure if any of you guys have ever been there.. it's, IMO, the best Stargate site around). Even to the point where SyFy execs repeatedly responded directly to questions because so many people were in upheaval over it.

14. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I liked it... followed it from beginning to end.

15. powderfinger

powderfinger

Feb 24, 2009
    Ok, so last nite on Netflix I watched the first 6 episodes (had a mini marathon after work). I am hooked now. I love it.

16. If you like it that much from the beginning then it only gets better.

Let us know what you think as you watch it. I recommend keeping a keen eye at how the characters develop (both physically and emotionally) over the two seasons. After the series finale I went back and watched a few early episode. Blew my mind to see how clean cut some of them were in the beginning haha

17. powderfinger

powderfinger

Feb 24, 2009
    My favorite character so far is Eli. I always am a fan of the awkward, dorky... yet smart ass type character.

18. After watching the first few episodes of SGU, I was still extremely irritated that they canceled Atlantis fir this. i did learn to appreciate some of the episodes, but everything was always too dark and pondering for me. Still, I was saddened that the Stargate Saga had ended, One Theatrical movie release, three T.V. series and two made for televsion/DVD movies is quite a run.

19. TOOL460002

TOOL460002 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Santa Cruz CA
    really? atlantis was more family friendly, but didnt it get old fighting the same enemy for years? sg u at least had variety in that department. (not questioning your taste or insulting you [i hope], as i did watch every second of atlantis, and it was pretty good... but your taste is your taste.)

i also followed lost, and i see some parallels. both the destiny and the island were more or less characters in the plot. the ship dictates the plot and moves it along, just like losts island was always causing characters to act in certain ways. anyone else see this? am i a crazy person?

then theres the back story stuff. i dont think they ripped that off of lost, because it was more random, not like an episode of lost thats a hurley or locke episode of something. both shows had a strong cast and a lot of mystery to them that started to come together.

ok- lost/sg u nerd out.

20. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    Don't forget the ghost hunter shows - complete garbage. We need a new REAL science fiction channel.