1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SGC Nanyo SB301 Wiring - Help (Pictures)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by royc, Apr 4, 2006.

1. royc

royc

Apr 2, 2006
    Maryland
    I posted in what I guess was the wrong forum and I did get one great offer of potential help (doesn't have the bass anymore but might be able to get a hold of it).

As I wait to see what happens with that, I figured I throw it up here, which looks like the right place.

I got this bass a long time ago and never really used it beyond picking it up every few years and plucking at it a little. There are two disconnected wires, and trying to figure things out is compounded by the fact that I'm not sure what each control is.

I'm hoping to find someone with the same bass or knowledge of this wiring configuration.

Here is a photo and diagram showing the disconnected wires

sb301wirephoto.

sb301wiredraw.

The two wires in the diagram labeled with question marks are the ones. The pot they're connected to is effectively cut off from the rest of the wiring, so the bridge pick up isn't working at all. I have a guess, but I don't want to blow anything up.

Thanks for any help with this,
    Roy

2. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Roy,

I'm the one who traded my old SGC Nanyo SB310 with basseteban that was mentioned in the other thread. Unfortunately, that bass was an active bass so the wiring will be different than what you have, plus I really never played the axe too much (kinda smallish body style for me) ....

You should read through this thread
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=177719&highlight=sgc+nanyo+sb301

There are some more details in there, including a cavity pic that may be helpful. You should also try to PM TBer Bassline_Delux, the original poster in that thread. He seems to have a good handle on the SGC line and sounds like a knowledgeable cat. The other thought would be to contact Rondo Music (the SX distributor), they were selling current day versions of the SGC SB301 for a while and they might be able to get you some schematic info ......

Hope this helps some ..... :cool:

3. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I haven't played that specific bass, but have owned a Kawai that was similar. The two pots labeled [Function?] are individual passive tone controls for each pickup. So, the pot with the two loose wires connected to the bridge PU should be wired pretty much the same as the one connected to the neck pickup with all the wires intact. That is, the loose one that's soldered to the casing of the pot is a ground and should go to the casing of the volume pot. The one connected to the middle lug of the pot is the pridge pickup output (post-tone control) and it should be connected to the middle lug on the *other* pot in the stacked blend pot (the pot underneath that the neck output is not connected to). Of course, that assumes that the blend pot is wired correctly!

Mike

4. royc

royc

Apr 2, 2006
    Maryland
    Thanks, Ed.

Lots of interesting posts there.

5. royc

royc

Apr 2, 2006
    Maryland
    Great information, Mike.